Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Tom Patterson – you are my hero. It appears that you have installed a Newport Fireplace in your AS. Please join the discussion posted as “Fireplace in an Airstream”! From the pic that 65GT attached to the above mentioned thread, you seem to have been the pioneer of the installation of this design. Tell us the entire history of this modification – how good, how bad, how ugly??? Can anyone take a 3” stovepipe up through the AS roof or did it take special skills? Is this a potential future AS feature?? Do you constantly burn your leg as you enter your AS or is there enough clearance with the fireplace mounted beside the door? Does it really heat your space, even if you do not run the fan? Will the vent cap blow off while you’re bookin’ on down the highway? America wants to know!!!

Personally, I am a little afraid of the Olympic catalytic heater solution for boondocking. Aside from the interior condensation problem that results from an unvented heater, I find it a little unnerving ( and rather counter productive ) to have to leave a window open to supply combustion oxygen ( and BREATHING OXYGEN ) while the heater is operating. What if I forget??? Do I wake up dead!!!

The beauty of the Newport design, aside from the beauty of the visible ‘crackling’ flame, is that the Newport is designed to bring fresh outside air down the chimney while exhausting smoke and noxious gases back out. This also cools the stack as it goes through the roof. This is the way a modern, high-efficiency house furnace works. Rather than burn up interior heated air in the flame, a modern furnace brings in it’s own outside air. Ergo, more heat and less danger inside the house or inside the AS.

Overlander63, do you think I can talk the factory into using me as a test subject, a lab rat if you will, for this new feature. I’d be happy to hit the road extolling the coziness of a factory installed fireplace in return for, say, free installation???? Sound entirely reasonable to me. Otherwise, I may just get out the tin snips and start whacking away on my new roof!!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHASTINGS
Tom Patterson – you are my hero. It appears that you have installed a Newport Fireplace in your AS. Please join the discussion posted as “Fireplace in an Airstream”! From the pic that 65GT attached to the above mentioned thread, you seem to have been the pioneer of the installation of this design. Tell us the entire history of this modification – how good, how bad, how ugly??? Can anyone take a 3” stovepipe up through the AS roof or did it take special skills? Is this a potential future AS feature?? Do you constantly burn your leg as you enter your AS or is there enough clearance with the fireplace mounted beside the door? Does it really heat your space, even if you do not run the fan? Will the vent cap blow off while you’re bookin’ on down the highway? America wants to know!!!
The Airstream with the fireplace photograghed is not owned by Tom Patterson, the photo is just hosted on his website. The owner is Patti Raimondo, who is a member of this forum, albeit not super active. She will reply to PM's and loves to share her experience with the restoration of her '54-55' Flying Cloud. She is a member of the Denver Unit of the WBCCI and I have been in her trailer many times...the flue does get hot...but like Forrest said, it could be enclosed with a shroud to protect visitors who aren't aware.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #17
Craftsman

Here's a picture of a very nice small wood buring stove in an Airstream. Very cool.Try www.marinestove.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluecod_stainedglassdoor.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	17956  
Old 01-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Here is the pointer for cast iron marine stoves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Yeah, the one I posted above burns wood. But I think you are thinking of the cast iron stove for sail boats (I can't find that thread either). This solution would be a lot smaller, a lot lighter and less space hungry.
The following site has cast iron marine stoves. They have a model that is about a 12" cube.

http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm

Malcolm
Old 01-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
That's what I was talking about. A real fireplace.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Shari,

Thanks for the info. I have PMed Patti to ask a bunch of questions and asked her to join this thread to share her experience with everyone.

On a side note, I was able to PM Patti because her Username is the same as her Real name as is mine. But how on earth would I have found her in the member's list if she had a different user name. You all seem to know each other quite well but I am a relative newcomer. I don't know how to do a proper search of member's names.

Also, once I found her, I had the choice of an email or a private message. What's the diff and did I pick the wrong method??

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Margaret Lee Runbeck

Old 01-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #21
Site Team

, Minnesota
Now you can have a real, open, unvented fireplace in your Airstream. All you need is a healthy supply of water and electricity.

The "Aqueon" by Heat-N-Glo uses electrolysis to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen. It then burns the hydrogen, with part of the oxygen, and releases the excess oxygen into the room. It cannot create carbon monoxide or nitrogen oxide because none are used in combustion. It could get pretty soupy, though.

So if you have $35,000 and want a real fireplace, call these guys:http://www.heatnglo.com/news/pressrelease.asp?id=33
Old 01-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHASTINGS
.. I had the choice of an email or a private message. What's the diff and did I pick the wrong method?? ...
Moderators - This is a bit off topic, so feel free to move it.

I personally only send private messages to members I do not know. If a member wants to interact, he/she will have left the default "receive an email telling me there is a personal message waiting for me at the forums" check-block alone. The member can then respond if they want to. While I do not use the feature, I believe the "Buddy List" feature allows one to block PMs from harassing members.

If you send an email, the recipient has the choice of responding directly to your email address or relpying via a PM. My experience has been that some people do not necessarily mind corresponding with others, but not through their personal email. I assume it is an anonymity issue. Since the member may or may not know you, there may be a certain level of discomfort in responding. You may not get a response.

That said, I have email addresses for many members who, like me, are comfortable talking in any medium. Email is the best way to swap pix.

On the flip side though, there are some members who choose to NOT receive PMs nor email nor Admin messages. This bit me once when I needed a my-Airstream-specific detail, and was unable to correspond with an "occasionally visits" member who was the original owner of my same year/model."

Despite my plea to the forum's Moderator for help (just this time - please?), contact was never made with the member. The Mods take privacy very seriously.

In conclusion, send a member who does not know you a personal message.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #23
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
Propane Fireplace

I had the Dickinson propane fireplace installed in my 54 Flying Cloud about three years ago. (see Tom Patterson's site for a photo) "Pearl" was at the Airstream plant in Ohio getting a major facelift and needed some source of heat. The original heater had been replaced by a floor unit and I didn't want the heater in the center of the floor! I ordered the Dickinson from a marine supply internet site and had it shipped to Airstream. It needed the extension kit for the vent to reach the ceiling from it's position by the door. When entering the trailer one does not touch it and the location allows for the living space to be heated quickly. The vent pipe gets very hot which is a problem when exiting the trailer because the natural tendancy is to grap that pipe as you exit. (one unhappy visitor to the vintage open house at the International this past summer did just that after being warned NOT to touch it!)

I am very happy with the unit as it heats my 21' of space very efficiently. BUT it does not heat behind cabinet doors so would not be good for winter camping when you need to use the plumbing. (unless you keep the cabinets open) I've camped in her in 17 deg. weather and I was toasty. You can't beat the atmosphere of a fire with a dancing flame at night!!!

Patti
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
On a side note, I was able to PM Patti because her Username is the same as her Real name as is mine. But how on earth would I have found her in the member's list if she had a different user name.
Had she used a different screen name, I would have refered to that instead of her real name...

Quote:
Also, once I found her, I had the choice of an email or a private message. What's the diff and did I pick the wrong method??
As Tom stated some people prefer PM correspondence over giving out their e-mail address...either one works.

Glad you got your questions regarding the fireplace answered ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool Fireplace Installation

After returning from two+ months of boondocking in the Beartooth Mts. on the Wyoming/Montana border last summer, we decided we would really like an additional source of heat for cool days and nights that didn’t roar and consume great volumes of propane and electricity as our regular furnace does. So when we got back home in September, I began to check out options and decided a catalytic heater seemed okay, since a number of our fellow campers had them. The trouble is those heaters use up oxygen, exhaust gases and moisture inside, and the windows fog up when it’s cold outside. Not the best system, but we almost went for it!

I remember thinking about boats, knowing I had purchased some marine items before [like really nice 12v light spots] and wondered what boaters used for heat. I checked out www.marinestove.com/. Really liked the wood stoves/heaters, but most of the others I found were diesel. And the one LPG design I saw, I didn’t like very much. Then on our ASforums I found jcferguson’s great series of posts on his 1962 22’ Classic; what an inspiration he is! [Wood stoves reminded me that as a boy in 1945, I was really happy when Dad took the old wood/coal stove out of the living room, and the cast iron cookstove out of the kitchen, and installed new kerosene stoves in their place, and I no longer had to chop and haul in kindling, keep the coal bucket full, and haul ashes out to the cinder covered alley every day.] Decided I liked wood campfires outside for boondocking, and no ashes inside the AS to take out. Didn’t have diesel, so guessed we’d have to stay catalytic with LPG.

But, I happened to find some references in the Airstream Library at www.airstreamtrailers.com/, and www.vintageairstream.com . Then lo and behold! I found pictures of Patricia Raimondo’s 54 Flying Cloud, and that beautiful shot of her Dickinson Fireplace. And it draws air in from outside, and exhausts out! Very fuel efficient, and draws only 0.17amps. Anyway, that led me to Dickinson’s website. . . and best of all my wife loved the whole thing. [Hey Sweet! How about a slightly early birthday present? . . . Good idea!]

Within that very week BOBHASTINGS started this thread [timing is everything] and on 2/2/06 I placed my order. So now I have the Dickinson Newport Propane Heater/Fireplace unpacked, and on my workbench, ready to install in our 1996 Classic 28’. They now have 18” long SS flue guards available to help prevent burns on the flue pipe, so I have a couple of those to hook up end to end over the exposed pipe. What a beauty, it looks just as good for real as in the pictures.

I plan to install the heater just one foot inside the door, [similar to Patricia’s, to the left as you step into the AS.] The layout of our AS makes the installation pretty straight forward, since the kitchen stove is mounted just on the other side of the 24” W x 36” H base cabinet end wall, with the LP gas and 12v electrical supplies right there.

I’ve removed the magazine rack, the collapsible cutting board, and the stove. The layout and scale drawing has been made, and now I’m contemplating the hole in the AS roof, wanting to make sure I miss the rib structure up there, and hoping there aren’t any electric wires at that location. [If there are any special warnings based on your expertise, please let me know.]

Now I have to wait for better weather. We have had about 10” of snow this week, more is forecast, and the temps are in the 20’s. The AS is about 100 yds. from the house with the LPG disconnected, so no heat. If it gets into the 40’s I can muster up some indoor installation, but I don’t want to do any roof stuff until all is dry and warmer. Call me ANXIOUS if you want.

This thread helped me make up my mind. Many thanks to this good Forum and helpful members willing to share!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Fireplace - a go project!!!

WRPETE - I'm SOOO excited. I thought Patti R. & I were the only crazies to think about installing a fireplace in an AS! Now, here you are with all the same logic and, it sounds like, all the necessary expertise. I'm sure glad someone else is going to be the 1st to cut that hole in the ceiling!!!

I haven't QUITE talked my wife into the idea of a fireplace however. It may have something to do with the fact that the 28 footer hasn't actually been built yet. I don't know.

I DO know I'm heading for Jackson Center when my unit hits the assembly line. I'd like to get pictures of the walls and ceiling BEFORE the interior gets installed so I'll know where to cut and where NOT to cut.

Please take lots of photos as the installation progresses.

Your pal!!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Margaret Lee Runbeck

Old 02-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
65GT, you are right; Patti's fireplace work was done at Jackson Center.

I don't actually mind the hole cutting itself, but just want to make certain of location! location! location! According to my owner's manual, the 12v system harness runs along the roadside of the trailer, inside at floor level, then crosses over to the curbside between the water tanks under the floor. The main body interior harness then goes up the wall and plugs into the ceiling harness. The ceiling harness runs at the corner junction of the side wall and ceiling [right above the door], with branches running straight across the ceiling to the lights and fans. The only other wiring is the ceiling harness to the clearance lights and tail lights. They don't make clear just where they are up there, but may also run along the side with the lighting/fans harness.

I intend to locate the 3" hole a couple of inches forward of the roof bow [which is almost straight up from the Fireplace] and at least 12" from the sidewall. The exterior roof area is clear [folded tv antenna about 8" away forward] and the only rivets I see define the placement of the roof bow. So I think I'm okay, but will check with the factory to see if they will give me a head's up before I drill any locater holes.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool The Plan is Okay

I asked for input from the Airstream factory, sending them my plan for locating and installing the flue pipe, and just got their answer:

"[Bud] It sounds like you will be OK, but use caution. I would drill a small hole through the entire ceiling (inside & out) and this will give you the center on the outside. I would start on the inside with a 1" hole and then hand cut to 3". This way you can see and feel if there is any wires. Good luck with your project." [Which is exactly what I intend to do!]

So, Bob, if you take delivery of your new AS, and get warm weather there before Spring arrives up here in western NY, you can use my well thought out plan and have your Fireplace installed, and post your pictures right here. I don't HAVE to be first!

Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay