Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #1

1975 31' Sovereign
Benton , Arkansas
A/C troubles

Hello guys, newbie here. I'm having troubles with my A/C. I bought this camper 3 summers ago in fair shape. I brought it home and did all the cleaning to it and repairs, and when I had it hooked up to the house the a/c would freeze you out. I took it to deer camp and hooked the genny up the first time and the compressor won't kick on. It's a 5500 watt, and the fan blows, but there's no cold air. Any ideas? I wouldn't think it wouldn't be much, because it was working great the days before when plugged into the house. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm a pretty good mechanic, but I don't know much about a/c units.
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Brownsville , Texas
I have never used one on an Airstream, but they do make something called a hard start capacitor. If your not going to call a pro, that is where I would start (after checking all wiring). Also, I'm sure you checked this, but did you check the thermostat?
rkuhns956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #3

1975 31' Sovereign
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuhns956 View Post
I have never used one on an Airstream, but they do make something called a hard start capacitor. If your not going to call a pro, that is where I would start (after checking all wiring). Also, I'm sure you checked this, but did you check the thermostat?
Honestly, I don't think there is a thermostat. The switch says fan on, low cool and high cool, I think?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You did not say what brand and model the generator is. Many of these higher watt (contractor grade) generators have different outputs depending on where you are plugged into. The watts are often split between two sets of 120 volt plugs and may not be enough to operate the A/C. There might also be a 240 volt plug which, if used could cause serious damage to your trailer's electrical system.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #5

1975 31' Sovereign
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
You did not say what brand and model the generator is. Many of these higher watt (contractor grade) generators have different outputs depending on where you are plugged into. The watts are often split between two sets of 120 volt plugs and may not be enough to operate the A/C. There might also be a 240 volt plug which, if used could cause serious damage to your trailer's electrical system.
It's a Campbell Hausfield, and it does have the 2 120 outlets and a 240 plug. I never that about the 2 being split. I have plugged a Honda 6500 that my friend uses on his 27 foot Coachman and it runs his fine, but does the same on mine.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Brownsville , Texas
As you can tell, I also have a 75 Sovereign. I can't remember which controls it, but there are 2 thermostats in mine. On is over the door side bed (I think this is the one that controls the A/C. I'm not in my AS right now, but if I remember correctly, it is on the all above the bed (I have a rear bath). The wall that is shared with the bath and sleeping area.
rkuhns956 is offline   Reply With Quote