Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
A/C solution for vintage trailer

We would like to set-up a small window A/C unit in our Bambi II for use in Perry this year. I saw a thread last year, and of course can't find it now, where someone set up an A/C unit in a window with some sort of T-frame stand under the A/C on the outside to help support the A/C unit.

Has anyone done this before? I would be interested in learning more about the specifics of the T-frame stand (or other solutions) and what was used to fill in the gaps in the window opening around the A/C unit.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
1959 26' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Bastrop , Texas
I don't know about the post, but Fred Coldwell wrote an article for Airstream Life about some people who had done that with their trailers at last year's International. Sorry I don't remember the issue.
WBCCI #8689
68 Globetrotter
emo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo59
I don't know about the post, but Fred Coldwell wrote an article for Airstream Life about some people who had done that with their trailers at last year's International. Sorry I don't remember the issue.
See the Summer 2006 issue of Airstreram Life at page 75. It worked like a charm.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi,
We have AC installed in our Bambi, but under the couch with ducting. If you look at my husbands thread towards the end... you should find the info for what we did. 63 Bambi Floor Replacement thread by NorCal Bambi.

Good luck,

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
We would like to set-up a small window A/C unit in our Bambi II for use in Perry this year. I saw a thread last year, and of course can't find it now, where someone set up an A/C unit in a window with some sort of T-frame stand under the A/C on the outside to help support the A/C unit.

Has anyone done this before? I would be interested in learning more about the specifics of the T-frame stand (or other solutions) and what was used to fill in the gaps in the window opening around the A/C unit.
If you want a non-invasive solution which does not require doing anything to the trailer, look into portable room air conditioners. I use one for emergencies in my house during power outages, and have it available for a loaner if a client's roof unit goes out while waiting for their new unit to arrive. (It gets hot here in FL and my clients can't believe that I offer this service!)

I have a 10K unit that will freeze you out of your trailer if you set the temp low enough.

Just a thought. It also only draws 9.8 amps!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
I saw some threads on this topic on the internet for other brands of trailers. Perhaps one of these will give you some ideas.

1. In wall galley
2. In wall tongue
3. Adding window A/C to camper pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots

Good luck! Post pictures when you are finished!
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna

The guy who runs GSM has that set up on his 5?. May had been a picture from the Battle of the Bands rally. Bambi's really tight already.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote