Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
A/C replacement photos

Did a total replacement last summer. To start, the "scaffold" consists of two 14' extenable ladders and an 8' long 2x10 with cleats at each end to ensure it won't walk off the ladders. This rig allows the 2x10 to be adjusted to almost any height above the trailer. The boards you can see under the ladders have 1" foam on the trailer side, which has prevented any scratches and absolutely no oil can dents.

The AC had previously been dinged and removed, leaving the old support plate and a new vent to close the hole temporarily. The old flanges on the support plate can be sawed off with moderate effort, but it is effective and easy to bend them over with a hammer. Bending them provides some additional strength to the plate.

Once the vent was removed, you can see the very simple and weak aluminum channels around the periphery. When you remove the channels, you can see that the wiring runs close and thick on the curb side of the opening. You have to enlarge the opening about 1/2" to comply with the new standard vent/AC opening. A hack saw does a good job, but you need to install short pieces of wood rib (just outside of the cut line) and clamp them in order to get a clean cut.

Putting in the 2x4 wooden ribs is amazing! Suddenly the roof is extremely strong--I felt like I could do a pullup on the edge, should I be so inclined. You have to make a decision on whether or not you want to pull the old drain through the rib and make it available as a drain for the plate. You'll also have the old 4-wire themostat connection--I coiled up the wires and stored them behind the ribs. The only connection you have to make is the 110 volt.

Photo 9 you can see the interior plate with the air divertors and the thermostat. The cover fit on perfectly and the roof in my Caravel is essentially flat at this point, so no trimming was required.

The outside view of the installation, totally normal except that the side flanges of the old installation only had to be cut down slightly, so they are still visible, but I can stand it. Taking the old support plate off would have been a real nightmare and probably would have caused major skin damage.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I have to add that I thought I could get the A/C unit up on the roof by myself. Don't try it. I recognized my stupidity early and called a very strong friend, but it was still a struggle to safely control it.

The real problem is that the horizontal 2x10 can't be directly over the vent hole, so you have a real cantilever problem in keeping the unit off the roof until you have it in a position where it won't damage nearby skin. Once you get the unit up on the 2x10, each of you will be up on a ladder so you can handle it from both sides. This was the only painful part of the whole operation.

Thinking back, this was a two-day job.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Here's how I did it........don't try this at home kids!
I pulled the new Coleman Mach something up a ladder and layed it in the hole.
To climb a ladder you need one hand free and that leaves only one hand to lift the A/C with!!!!
I did this by myself and was sore for several days.
The next time I do it........I will rent a helocopter or hire some alien craft to lift it!
Mike
Old 02-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I really like the idea of using a ladder on each side of the unit to make a scaffold. That appears to be a good way to do anything on top of the a/s.
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Air conditioner jack

I applaud your feats of strength and perserverence. There IS a simpler method. I rent an air conditioner jack from a local equipment rental place. It is like a big manual fork lift that will completely roll under the trail. It extends 18' high and is the best device to remove/replace air units with. I use one about every other week and would be lost without it. If I keep replacing air units at this pace....I might just have to but one!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Interestingly enough, I observed the replacement of my A/C unit at the factory in Jackson Center and the Techs didn't use any sort of scaffolding over the roof. Apparently there's a trick to only stepping in the right place!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
No smoke, no mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
... Apparently there's a trick to only stepping in the right place!
Not according to Inland Andy. Feeling comfortable with his advice of [paraphrased] "Walk anywhere except the endcaps preferably with soft soled shoes", I have been all over the top of my American Classic.

The only trick in AC replacement is getting the new unit up there.

Andy rocks.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
To my neighbors' amazement, I simply left the replacement Courier A/C in the box and PUSHED it up the ladder to get it on top of the Argosy. It almost killed me.

Airconditioners never need replacing when it's 70 degrees out there. It was 100+ on top of the trailer. This turned into a crash course in "getting it running NOW - worry about finishing installing it later."

I also made a 2x2 wooden frame for it to rest on. Unfortunately, I didn't hook up a new drain - I bought into the idea that most of the runoff would be slung onto the coils. Bad idea. Runoff gets slung THROUGH the coils, and then it runs off the side of the trailer. I need to correct that one of these days.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Piece of cake.

Maybe it was the spinach I had that morning, but the Carrier AirV was really manageable. 2 people and it was done in no time.

Here is my installation... AC INSTALL

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
I need some basic instruction in removing an Armstrong on my 69 Overlander. Any info would be appreciated
bsshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
1. take down the inside baffle

2. make sure AC power is disconnected from trailer

3. open the airconditioner power box and disconnect AC leads

4. disconnect the thermstat leads, 3 or 4 smaller wires

5. undo the holdown bolts--the airconditioner is now free (if memory serves)

6. Now you have to get on top--don't press down on skin or you'll oil can it and put in a crease

7. drill out the rivets around the equator of the cover and take the top off

8. undo the bottom shroud piece from the metal flange that runs around the perimeter and is attached to the shell--remove

9. now you have to pick up the airconditioner. it's probably too heavy for one person unless you dissassemble it in place, eg, cut the copper and take off the compressor separately.

10. remove the remainder.

after you tackle it, please note any steps I missed and document them here. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
mea culpa

I have since learned that there is little wrong with the Armstrong but that my outbuilding electrical service leaves much to be desired. I did replace the 120V >24 V transformer, might need a relay but the unit works if it's fed good juice. Electician on the way to correct that, thanks, all, I'll save the thread for when I really need it
bsshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Rivet Indianapolis, IN -- A/C install and Castleton sightings

Thank you for your post back in February of '06. I am having a Dometic Arctic Breeze installed in my 24' 1968 Trade Wind, built in Jackson Center, OH. There has never been an air conditioner installed on my Trade Wind, to my knowledge, although the opening they are using is a 14" vent opening. There is a vent in the front, this opening in the center, and a vent in the back. The guys at the place I took it to said they cannot find 110 wiring in the ceiling, nor a drip tube ready for installation. Andy at Inland RV said he could not help with wiring schematics for my model of trailer, either.

I called the factory while I still lived in Dayton, OH, and they did not want the job. No reason, except they were not making those kinds of appointments. Maybe if I were the original owner... who knows?

So, now I am living in Indianapolis, and I have been searching everywhere, looking for a repair center to do not only the A/C, but to check out and overhaul/repair/replace the gas services. After I took the Trade Wind to a repair center (Indianapolis RV Tech), I heard about Edmundson, down in Edinbugh. If I ever get the Trade Wind back (she's been gone all summer, ironically: having the A/C installed), I'll have a talk with the man in Edinburgh.

I found your post and pictures today. I'll take them over the IRVT tomorrow, and if they have not done what you did, I'll throw a tarp over it and take it somewhere else.

I'll take some pictures the next time I go to IRVT to visit my Trade Wind. :-)

Is there any good news for me about service near Indianapolis? I rode my scooter up to a party in Castleton and saw a couple of Airstreams in a storage facilty. Are these owners on the forum?

Thanks,
Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne
Thank you for your post back in February of '06. I am having a Dometic Arctic Breeze installed in my 24' 1968 Trade Wind, built in Jackson Center, OH. There has never been an air conditioner installed on my Trade Wind, to my knowledge, although the opening they are using is a 14" vent opening. There is a vent in the front, this opening in the center, and a vent in the back. The guys at the place I took it to said they cannot find 110 wiring in the ceiling, nor a drip tube ready for installation. Andy at Inland RV said he could not help with wiring schematics for my model of trailer, either.

I called the factory while I still lived in Dayton, OH, and they did not want the job. No reason, except they were not making those kinds of appointments. Maybe if I were the original owner... who knows?

So, now I am living in Indianapolis, and I have been searching everywhere, looking for a repair center to do not only the A/C, but to check out and overhaul/repair/replace the gas services. After I took the Trade Wind to a repair center (Indianapolis RV Tech), I heard about Edmundson, down in Edinbugh. If I ever get the Trade Wind back (she's been gone all summer, ironically: having the A/C installed), I'll have a talk with the man in Edinburgh.

I found your post and pictures today. I'll take them over the IRVT tomorrow, and if they have not done what you did, I'll throw a tarp over it and take it somewhere else.

I'll take some pictures the next time I go to IRVT to visit my Trade Wind. :-)

Is there any good news for me about service near Indianapolis? I rode my scooter up to a party in Castleton and saw a couple of Airstreams in a storage facilty. Are these owners on the forum?

Thanks,
Anne
Anne.

Do not let then install the AC in a vent opening. That is not where they are mounted.

I will check tomorrow and try to find the location of the wires for you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Andy was able to give me a measurement and was within 6 inches on my 69 tradewind (ehh I'll give it to him). On mine it was 101 inches back from the first rib, about a foot behind the rear vent, but not sure on a 68 since I think there was a body style change. I cut the hole myself, reinforced it, installed the AC all in a couple hours. If you have access to a couple sturdy ladders and some basic tools like tin snips and something to cut some aluminum stock to add bracing (sawzall or hack saw) then you should be able to do it. I'm a total rookie and when I got into it I realized how easy it was. I posted pics of it on the thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...day-35176.html
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 AM   #16
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Thanks so much, goransons! I am going to print out this message and your pictures and take to the service people.
Anne
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Why wood framing and not aluminum?
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW84345 View Post
Why wood framing and not aluminum?
Fabrication, in a word. The transverse pieces need to be curved, about 3/4" arch across 20". It's possible to shrink and stretch two complimentary "L" extrusions, then rivet their webs together to form an aluminum beam, but a nice piece of 2X lumber on a bandsaw is so much easier.

In addition, riveting aluminum braces in place would require the flanges to face toward the inside of the opening (bucked rivets, of course), which would result in a recess space all the way around.

Although not elegant, the wood works fine and should be dry if the A/C is installed correctly, so no rot.

Zep
Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Zep, I've been doing mental rehearsal on this in prep for installing one in our rig. One question I have is this: On the two wooden ribs running fore to aft, are they attached to the two aluminum traverse stringers fore and aft of the hole? Or do the four wooden ribs just attach only immediately around the hole?

Lynn
Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Zep, I've been doing mental rehearsal on this in prep for installing one in our rig. One question I have is this: On the two wooden ribs running fore to aft, are they attached to the two aluminum traverse stringers fore and aft of the hole? Or do the four wooden ribs just attach only immediately around the hole?

Lynn
Aluminum is far better than wood.

The stringers, for proper and adequate support, should be fastened to the fore and aft of the square hole, main bows.

Then 2 small stiffners should be added between the stringers, creating a 14" X 14" square hole.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote