Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Hoschton , Georgia
A/C Replacement options (67 Overlander)

Got the unfortunate news from my HVAC tech that my original a/c unit is dead and I was wondering what is the best replacement for this model that will perform correctly and limit the butchering of my cherished Overlander?? I seem to have read a thousand threads without a clear cut suggestion for a replacement model. I would love to salvage my original, but the parts on the roof are toast. Any help is greatly appreciated!! thanks

Sean

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Define "toast"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaa891
... I would love to salvage my original, but the parts on the roof are toast.
Anything is repairable if your pocketbook is big enough. What did your AC person say was wrong with the unit?

My repaired, original AC does an incredible job of cooling the Airstream when the outside temperatures are high.

Tom
p.s. Welcome to the forum.

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
If you're careful, it's not that big a butchering. The problem is that the original support pan, where the outer edges retained the cover, is not easily removable. You also have to trim the A/C opening to 14" and put in some reinforcement between the skins. Once the new A/C is on, you hardly notice the edges of the old pan, especially if you bend them down [inward, gently] with a soft mallet. You can see the pan and how it looks with the A/C removed in this thread

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...tos-20568.html

You will have one problem with any replacement--the drain line was designed to drain the original pan. A new A/C will be configured to drain over the side, which leaves a corrosion stain down the skin. If you can get the old drain hooked up, I'm sure the members will want to see how you did it.

I have to admit that I hate the hi-rise Coleman that's on my Caravel. Works good but looks like a durn goose egg up there. One of the lower profile models would be much better.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Hoschton , Georgia
Thanks Tom, your restoration page has served as a guide to my brother and I as we have "gutted" my Overlander. Your pictures have been extremely valuable, I have a lot of pictures to offer others as well, for those that care to restore their Airstream. I am in pursuit of a compressor and condenser fan, if I can find one. I am certainly trying to keep my original a/c as I am anal about it remaining original. I hope I can get it all repaired or replaced cleanly. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice, this has certainly been an interesting project. I hope to post pictures soon.
p.s Tom, you will love some of the "re-engineering" I did for the bathroom area, I will keep you posted. Thanks Zepp, I appreciate your help also!
Sean
Old 09-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Gave our orginal 1988 Colemans one more chance since they were so well built, galvanized metal, compared to the mostly plastic units today.

If still had to refit...
The Carrier's offered some nice units.
-Air Shower
-Osolating air vents...and the biggey...
-Condensation picked up by fan and slung onto the condenser = very little drainage, and better performance from compressor.

Every roof A/C is designed for a 14" x 14" roof opening, so they all fit.
Of course, the ducted units may be different.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Now THAT post deserves karma from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaa891
Thanks Tom, your restoration page has served as a guide to my brother and I as .... Your pictures have been extremely valuable, ... Thanks to all of you for your help and advice, ...

Thanks Sean, I'm happy that my site has benefited your effort. Let me know off-line if you need detail.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Dualtherm Penguin

[quote=ZeppeliniumYou will have one problem with any replacement--the drain line was designed to drain the original pan. A new A/C will be configured to drain over the side, which leaves a corrosion stain down the skin. If you can get the old drain hooked up, I'm sure the members will want to see how you did it.

I have to admit that I hate the hi-rise Coleman that's on my Caravel. Works good but looks like a durn goose egg up there. One of the lower profile models would be much better.

Zep[/quote]

I had a new Penguin put in this summer. It froze up once but so far I am pleased with it. It is possible on this unit to use the existing drain line by modifying the pan (rather than dripping down the outside skin) It is low profile and looks better IMHO than a higher unit.