Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

2002 27' Safari
Johns Island , South Carolina
Arrow A/C Problem: Turns on Then Shuts Off

The AC unit on my 2008 Airstream Safari Sport 16' trailer is having a problem. I can turn it on and the fan will blow just fine, but what doesn't continue to work is the part of the AC unit which makes the cold air. If I turn the thermostat so that the cold air kicks on, it will come on, but then after about 1-2 minutes it shuts off for no reason. The air conditioner gets louder and louder leading up to its cutting off, and it almost sounds like it's running faster and faster, then when it does shut off, the shudder of it turning off almost shakes the trailer a little bit. As I said before though, the fan will keep blowing air even though the "cold air" part of the unit comes to a shuddering stop. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon
jonairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonairstream View Post
The AC unit on my 2008 Airstream Safari Sport 16' trailer is having a problem. I can turn it on and the fan will blow just fine, but what doesn't continue to work is the part of the AC unit which makes the cold air. If I turn the thermostat so that the cold air kicks on, it will come on, but then after about 1-2 minutes it shuts off for no reason. The air conditioner gets louder and louder leading up to its cutting off, and it almost sounds like it's running faster and faster, then when it does shut off, the shudder of it turning off almost shakes the trailer a little bit. As I said before though, the fan will keep blowing air even though the "cold air" part of the unit comes to a shuddering stop. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon
Are you using an extension cord?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like the compressor is shutting down due to excess head pressure. Have you checked to make sure all the vents on the outside of the air conditioner are clear, and not blocked by debris or an a/c cover?
Which brand a/c does your Sport have? Is it a Carrier?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Sounds like you are having problems with the Compressor. Do you have a good service you are running off of. (Not going through an extension cord) You can check the voltage make sure its not much below 120V. Could also be a starting capacitor or just a failing compressor.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #5

2002 27' Safari
Johns Island , South Carolina
Andy, I was using an extension cord (which wasn't nearly powerful enough) and it started doing the things I have been describing. After having it shudder on and off for a day or two, I went and bought a good 30 amp extension and ran it directly from a 30 amp breaker; so there is plenty of power now I would think, although it is still about 70 feet from the box to the trailer-not sure if that would matter much?

Some more information I would add is that I have been staying at a campground (hooked up to plenty of power) for 3 weeks. I just moved my trailer to where it is now, parked outside a building, and had it hooked up to a cord giving insufficient power, and that is when this problem started to occur. So until I hooked it up here, a few days ago to the low power source, I wasn't having any problems at all, but now that I am hooked up to a good power source, it continues to have the same problem.

Terry, I haven't checked. Yes, it's a Carrier-is that good or bad?

Thanks everyone!
jonairstream is offline   Reply With Quote