Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
1963 16' Bambi
Greenville, MS , Greenville, MS and Memphis, TN
Send a message via Yahoo to highcotton
A/C New installation '63 Bambi HELP NEEDED

Thanks for reading. I have a '63 original Bambi which never had A/C. It is in fair original condition. I am in the process of a renovation, not restoration. There will be totally new wiring and plumbing installed. When finished, The floor plan will be basically the same. I checked with A/S dealer who gave me an estimate of $7000 to $9000 for new installation for top mounted A/C ouch. I also was told by someone else that a small window unit could be installed under drawers/closet area with exterior and interior vents configured where it would not be visible from inside or outside. With the renovation, it will not be a problem to cut into the inside shell to run wiring for top unit installation of unit, because I will be installing veneer on the inside shell. I have a friend who has an A/C company who assures me that he can figure out how to install top mounted A/C. What type bracing would need to be added for top mount installation, if that is the best way to go? I'm leaning in that direction, but have not ruled out floor mounted IF IF there are people who have done that who are very pleased with the operation AND aesthetics. Look is VERY important, as well. I do not want some tacky, make-do look. Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Highcotton,

Many folks here think that a roof top desecrates the iconic shape of the Airstream. It certainly does overwhelm a Bambi.

The price you were quoted is just outlandish too.

I installed the near perfect solution during my remake of a 1976 ARGOSY, an LG Art Cool Commercial- Residential Split Unit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	refections.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	213985

Name:	AC hitch.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	213983

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	213984

The cost for this sophisticated, almost silent better idea was about $2500.

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	213986

The entire rig is for sale now; check the link below