Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Greenwood , South Carolina
A/C mounted in pickup bed?

Anyone tried it? Why wouldn't it be a less expensive, quieter alternative to the roof mount? I can get a great, very quiet room AC for about 400 dollars. And sitting in the pickup bed it wouldn't vibrate the AS or keep us awake. Would it be that hard to run a duct back to the AS after I've parked? I think I'd cut a duct in the front wall and blow it in low with roof vents to let out the hot. Any thoughts?
plossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by plossl
Anyone tried it? Why wouldn't it be a less expensive, quieter alternative to the roof mount? I can get a great, very quiet room AC for about 400 dollars. And sitting in the pickup bed it wouldn't vibrate the AS or keep us awake. Would it be that hard to run a duct back to the AS after I've parked? I think I'd cut a duct in the front wall and blow it in low with roof vents to let out the hot. Any thoughts?
You need to run 2 ducts, one for cold air, one for return air. Even the most powerful A/C that runs on 120V won't have enough cooling capacity to continually cool down hot outside air. It helps to have a recirculating system, with only a small amount of fresh air added.
Otherwise, it should work just fine, if you keep the ducts short enough, and insulated well.
Why not mount on a cart, like a generator, so you can move it close to the trailer when you need it?
Good Luck with your project. Sounds doable to me, although unconventional. I am sure it is going to have many advantages, solong tha tyou don't mind the extra setup time, and storing it etc.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
I like the cart idea, but then I have to move the AC in and out of the truck. I can make it more secure if I lock it into the bed somehow. A return duct is necessary-you're right. I'll have to think about where to run it from.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
You could go with a spilt system - inside blower unit and outside condenser that could have quick connect fittings. Just remove the outside unit for transport and leave the inside unit mounted all the time. Just the cooling gasses move from inside to outside. Cost would be high but home units are available.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Kind of like central air conditioning . . . good idea!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Look at these:

ductless mini split air conditioner system mini split air conditioning ac unit -
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Last spring I attended a forum rally and a Spartan Manor was there that had a computer room A/C condensing unit mounted to the tongue just behind the LP gas tanks. The cooling coil was located in one of the closets (would probably fit under the gaucho) and the duct work was run through the other closets and under the tub to provide central A/C in both bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and salon. Very ingenious system. You might try something like that. The owner post on this forum. I'll be with the same rally group in two weeks. If he is there I'll try to get photos and info. Did a super job in upper 80's weather. Sure it would do a great job in most summer temps, too.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Once you get the rest of it figured out - seems as though you could route the cold air into the heater duct system for distribution in the trailer.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
There must be a way; the question is between a split system (which must be connected under pressure) and a window mount unit that would sit in the pickup bed and be connected with ducting. I'm leaning toward the window mount unit due to simplicity, but I'm thinking I will have to oversize it a bit to compensate for loss.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
ClimateRight Option for this

ClimateRight has adapted their self contained unit for RV's. They have two quick disconnect fittings that look and awful lot like holding tank bayonet fittings. One for the cold supply and one for the return.

It could be mounted in a truck, on the ground or on the tongue.

There is a 2500 or a 7000 btu model. I was thinking it would be a good unit to cool just the front bedroom at night (quietly) or as an auxiliary on extra hot days.

ClimateRight - Photo Gallery - RV Trailers
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
That Climate Right thing is as ugly as some SOBs, as you can see in the above photos and again here:

ClimateRight - Complete Climate Control For People & Pets

Not something you want to pursue if, by not going roof air, you mean to preserve the iconic lines of the Airstream.

I can’t imagine that a quick-connect system is possible for a split unit either. The lines are pressurized.

What you can do is as I did: compressor on the tongue, blower unit inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	refections.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	161758

Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	161757.

Cool looking, cool working.

Sergei

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Plossl,

I've just re- read your original post. You mean to find something cheaper and much less noisey than a roof top.

Your idea will work if you keep in mind what Uwe says: you need an inlet and an outlet to circulate the air through the trailer. Supply and return.

The Climate Right is merely your idea packaged. In other words, you had a basic idea that somebody else is already selling.

I'd price out the Climate Right first. It might be cost efficient by the time you hunt down and figure out all the pieces.

It wouldn't look too bad either, mounted in the truck box with two neat tubes running to openings under your front window.

It will work and should be quieter inside than a roof top
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
That Climate Right thing is as ugly as some SOBs, as you can see in the above photos and again here:

ClimateRight - Complete Climate Control For People & Pets

Not something you want to pursue if, by not going roof air, you mean to preserve the iconic lines of the Airstream.

I can’t imagine that a quick-connect system is possible for a split unit either. The lines are pressurized.

What you can do is as I did: compressor on the tongue, blower unit inside.

Cool looking, cool working.

Sergei
What did you use for this setup? And AWESOME Argosy!
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote