Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
A/C mildew smell

If the a/c unit is shut off for 12 hours after running there is a mildew odor when the blower starts up. The drain is open and dripping very nicely. Is there something that can be acessed and cleaned to remove the smell?
I've cleaned the filter inserts and they are not the culprit.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
When the AC runs it produces condensation in the collection tray that drains out through the tube in the roadside wheel well. There is a tray in the unit that will hold water - it will grow mold over time - especially in humid areas where the water will not evaporate or drain off. That mold will build up also and may block the drain tube. A few drops of bleach in the tray will kill the mold. Carefull, if it dies in sheets it can block the drain tube. I have also heard of people putting fish tank alge tablets in there that will do the trick but bleach has always worked for me.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
At many auto stores there is a spray product that can be sprayed into the air input side of automobile AC systems and is said to reduce or eliminate odors. It should work on your rooftop unit. Look in the chemical section of your auto store and/or ask them if they have such a product. It is not available everywhere. I have some at home, but not there right now so I cannot give you a specific name.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You may want to try an EPA-approved funcigidal product called MoldSTAT HVAC, which is made specifically for air conditioners. A/C mold was tracked as the source for Legionaire's Disease, so prompt action to kill the mold is definitely prudent. Not all mold in an A/C unit will produce the disease; there are so many different types of mold out there, but better safe than sorry.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Is Your AC Making You Sick - AC and Mold - Portable AC Solution
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
One thing you might try is running it on fan only for the last 5 or 10 minutes of the day. It may dry out the evaporator enough where there will be no smell at the next startup.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Thanks everybody, I have to get something up in there just to be safe, not fond of bleach, caustic to a/c parts, someone recommended Spray 9
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Thanks everybody, I have to get something up in there just to be safe, not fond of bleach, caustic to a/c parts, someone recommended Spray 9
A drop or two........
Old 06-03-2023, 02:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd resurrect it. We had a terrible mildew odor start coming out of the zone 2 AC. After doing some research, decided to have the AC units cleaned, which had never been done. I watched the YouTube videos of how to do this, but just decided to have a mobile RV tech do it. When he removed the shroud of the stinky AC, he found a big bird's nest with some dead birds in it. I'm sure that nest got wet every time our rig was in the rain and was the source of the mildew smell. Cleaning both AC units took care of the smell problem.
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote