Old 07-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Send a message via Yahoo to atvmcg
A/C leaking

My A/C is leaking inside the trailer regardless of the outside temp/humidity. there is no steady leak, sometimes it's a lot more than usual. Any suggestions on what I should start with? Is this a sign that I need a new A/C? I've cleaned all the filters and vents to no avail.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Year/model type of detail might help in getting a solution

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
It's 79 safari 23' running 30amps. Top mounted Coleman, i believe it's the 13.5 model.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmcg
It's 79 safari 23' running 30amps. Top mounted Coleman, i believe it's the 13.5 model.
My Coleman had that problem, it turned out the bottom housing had a hole rusted in it. I cleaned the hole of loose rust, and used some fiberglass mat and resin to fix the hole. I have had no more leaks since I performed this repair.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
My Coleman had that problem, it turned out the bottom housing had a hole rusted in it. I cleaned the hole of loose rust, and used some fiberglass mat and resin to fix the hole. I have had no more leaks since I performed this repair.
Thanks, So I need to take the shroud off and inspect the housing and seals I guess would be the next step?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
...So I need to take the shroud off and inspect the housing and seals I guess would be the next step?
C'mon down! You're the next contestant on...

Yes; That is a good next step

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
C'mon down! You're the next contestant on...

Yes; That is a good next step

Tom
Well, I'm hoping that will fix the problem( the price is right) rather than having to buy a new one . Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Well, I'm hoping that will fix the problem( the price is right) rather than having to buy a new one . Thanks.
If it helps, the hole in mine was inside the evaporator case, on the curb side.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Quote:
If it helps, the hole in mine was inside the evaporator case, on the curb side.
Yeah, ok, I'm looking at the manual now to see how to dismantle the assembly..I'll take a good look around while I'm up there and determine what route to take.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
before you jump off the deep end check to see if your ac drain hose is stopped up. remove your plastic ceiling shroud. remove the metal piece (six metal screw) so that you can see the drip pan. the hose is connected to the drivers side of the drain pan. remove hose and blow air or water thru it . this could be messy but it will clean out the hose. the connector on the pan needs to be checked to insure it is not plugged up. i used a piece of wire and a shop vac to clean this up. i think you will find that this will fix your problem if not try try again.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb13798
before you jump off the deep end check to see if your ac drain hose is stopped up. remove your plastic ceiling shroud. remove the metal piece (six metal screw) so that you can see the drip pan. the hose is connected to the drivers side of the drain pan. remove hose and blow air or water thru it . this could be messy but it will clean out the hose. the connector on the pan needs to be checked to insure it is not plugged up. i used a piece of wire and a shop vac to clean this up. i think you will find that this will fix your problem if not try try again.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb13798
Al, Colemans don't have drain hoses. It would be nice if they did, though.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:08 PM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Yeah, ok, I'm looking at the manual now to see how to dismantle the assembly..I'll take a good look around while I'm up there and determine what route to take.
4 nuts hold the outside cover on, take them off, take off the cover. the evaporator case has a bunch of screws holding it together. You may also find a pair of screws holding two halves of a cover around the blower shaft. Good luck with it.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Quote:
4 nuts hold the outside cover on, take them off, take off the cover. the evaporator case has a bunch of screws holding it together. You may also find a pair of screws holding two halves of a cover around the blower shaft. Good luck with it.
Got it done, cleaned all the parts, and made the drain holes a little larger draining into the pan....everything is looking good now...A/C works great again and no leaks!! Thanks for all the advice everyone.