Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Benvenito
 
1965 26' Overlander
Chatfield , Minnesota
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6
Images: 8
Smile A/C just stopped on '65 Overlander

Ended up having two problems this weekend with the
Airstream at the inlaw's. But it kept me away from the
reletics, so~
Saturday night I blew a fuse (20 amp?) and lost all lights
except for the ones that ran off the battery. The A/C still
worked off battery power.
Sunday morning bought new fuse at hardware store, installed
it, all is well again.
Sunday night I arrive back at home. Set the Airstream up and
crank up the A/C. Works at first, but I come out 5 minutes later
and it's not doing anything. No fan, no condenser, no clicks,
nada. Checked breakers, they seem fine. Checked all 3 fuses in
voltage box thingy by water heater, they seem fine. Checked the
two fuses on the panel by the battery, they seem fine.
Also, I have what appears to be an aftermarket battery life tester
above where the breaker box is. It tells you how the battery is~
low, charging, charged,etc. It seems to not be working now either.
And I know if worked on Saturday.
Things I've done: replaced battery and made sure it was all charged
up. I've pulled out the toggel switch on the actual A/C unit, and
tested the wires to see if I have power to the switch--I do not have
power at the switch.
Any ideas what's up? Need new thermostat? Wiring problem?
Can I power it with a hot positive at the switch and get it going?
HELP! It's hot in Minnesota! THANKS!
__________________

__________________
Ben Volker
Chatfield, MN

"Ask not what your Airstream can do for you,
but what you can do for your Airstream."
[apologies to JFK]

"It's not the destination, but the journey."
Benvenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvenito View Post
Ended up having two problems this weekend with the
Airstream at the inlaw's. But it kept me away from the
reletics, so~
Saturday night I blew a fuse (20 amp?) and lost all lights
except for the ones that ran off the battery. The A/C still
worked off battery power.
Sunday morning bought new fuse at hardware store, installed
it, all is well again.
Sunday night I arrive back at home. Set the Airstream up and
crank up the A/C. Works at first, but I come out 5 minutes later
and it's not doing anything. No fan, no condenser, no clicks,
nada. Checked breakers, they seem fine. Checked all 3 fuses in
voltage box thingy by water heater, they seem fine. Checked the
two fuses on the panel by the battery, they seem fine.
Also, I have what appears to be an aftermarket battery life tester
above where the breaker box is. It tells you how the battery is~
low, charging, charged,etc. It seems to not be working now either.
And I know if worked on Saturday.
Things I've done: replaced battery and made sure it was all charged
up. I've pulled out the toggel switch on the actual A/C unit, and
tested the wires to see if I have power to the switch--I do not have
power at the switch.
Any ideas what's up? Need new thermostat? Wiring problem?
Can I power it with a hot positive at the switch and get it going?
HELP! It's hot in Minnesota! THANKS!
The original Armstrong TAC-110 air conditioner, does not in any way operate on 12 volts DC.

It will run fine, unless something is wrong with it, without a battery in the trailer.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Benvenito
 
1965 26' Overlander
Chatfield , Minnesota
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6
Images: 8
'65 Airstream A/C & 110 outlet fuse problems?

I've discovered that along with my A/C unit, I have
no juice at all my 110 outlets on the Airstream. I've
checked breakers and the 3 fuses in the Uni-Volt box.
And I've checked the 2 - 40 amp fuses on the low voltage
panel. Not finding anything wrong. Factory fan in roof works,
radio works, lights work. What am I missing? Thanks!
__________________
Ben Volker
Chatfield, MN

"Ask not what your Airstream can do for you,
but what you can do for your Airstream."
[apologies to JFK]

"It's not the destination, but the journey."
Benvenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvenito View Post
I've discovered that along with my A/C unit, I have
no juice at all my 110 outlets on the Airstream. I've
checked breakers and the 3 fuses in the Uni-Volt box.
And I've checked the 2 - 40 amp fuses on the low voltage
panel. Not finding anything wrong. Factory fan in roof works,
radio works, lights work. What am I missing? Thanks!
Shut the city power breakers "OFF" and then flip them back "ON".

Then post what happened.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Benvenito
 
1965 26' Overlander
Chatfield , Minnesota
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6
Images: 8
It's official: I'm an idiot.


I went out and switched the breakers, and guess what I
discovered? I followed my extension cord all the way back
to my garage, and I discovered that I forgot to plug in my
extension cord when I set the camper up on Sunday. Ughhh.
Three days of troubleshooting for that! Well, at least now
I know my Airstream's electrical system a whole lot better!

Thanks so much, Andy. It's 94 degrees here, and now my
Overlander is pumping out ice cold A/C!! Kudos~
__________________
Ben Volker
Chatfield, MN

"Ask not what your Airstream can do for you,
but what you can do for your Airstream."
[apologies to JFK]

"It's not the destination, but the journey."
Benvenito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benvenito View Post

I went out and switched the breakers, and guess what I
discovered? I followed my extension cord all the way back
to my garage, and I discovered that I forgot to plug in my
extension cord when I set the camper up on Sunday. Ughhh.
Three days of troubleshooting for that! Well, at least now
I know my Airstream's electrical system a whole lot better!

Thanks so much, Andy. It's 94 degrees here, and now my
Overlander is pumping out ice cold A/C!! Kudos~
That will cost you coffee, and at least one doughnut.

Oh, if all repairs could be so simple.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Silverwanabe's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 523
Images: 107
It happens to the best of us
__________________
Greg
Winston Salem, NC
WBCCI 5218,
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
It happens to the best of us
Gives us seniors something to laugh and talk about.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1965, air conditioning, overlander


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
air conditioner stopped working richinny Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 10 05-03-2010 07:10 AM
all stopped up nettepdx Fresh Water Systems 17 07-12-2008 10:45 AM
My Converter stopped converting thecatsandi Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 16 01-03-2008 11:05 AM
The furnace stopped working ipso_facto Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 13 02-24-2006 03:04 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.