Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
On my 76 the curve produced an about an inch gap in the center when each side of the cover touched the ceiling. There was no way to attach the cover using the screws supplied to the inside unit after tightening the bolts to compress the outside gasket. Believe me I tried. Certainly there are other way to work around this issue but my spacer produced a solid base to attach the inside unit and tighten the 4 bolds to compress the gasket. I then had a flat surface to attach the cover as was intended. On new A/S the curve is not as big so other methods work.

So a spacer may not be required, but mine works, looks great and provides a solid base.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I built a frame around the inside cover for my Penguin. I do not know the details of the Carrier unit. If it is similar to the Penguin, make sure you are not creating a cross connection between the supply and return plenums.

Because of the curvature of the ceiling, there is not a good seal between the edge of the cover and the steel channels. Cold air can leak directly from the supply plenum to the return. All that's required is to put a couple of foam strips (A/C seal strip from Home Depot) inside the steel channels for the ceiling cover to seal against.

There are a couple of pictures here.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Lew - I just chunked out $725 minutes before seeing your reply...!!!

Well - I've made my bed - so not much I can do about it now. If you really don't think this is a good unit I could trying calling the dealer on Monday and see if they will let me apply the cash to a different unit? It's Family RV in New Port Richey, FL.

Link to the item on Ebay.

eBay Motors: NEW LOW PROFILE CARRIER 15K RV,AC,BOAT,AIR CONDITIONER (item 160218588828 end time Mar-24-08 02:47:08 PDT)
I've bought from those people before, they are very good to work with.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
RE: Interior spacers...........

I've installed 6 Carrier units in Airstreams and have never used a spacer. Not with the Dometics either. It is very simple to scribe the curve of the ceiling to the lower unit and cut the plastic with aviation snips. Fits perfectly. If you must, you can line the ceiling with 1/4" foam tape, but it rally isn't necessary unless you are getting evaporator freeze-up from too much cooled air directly feeding into the return.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Here some additional picturers of my Spacer and the brass fitting to provide the drain line.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier AC Spacer_edited-2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	57079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier spacer.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	57080  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier drain.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	57081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier drain 1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	57082  

Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh
Here some additional picturers of my Spacer and the brass fitting to provide the drain line.

Don
Don,

I'm pretty fussy about what I do - you just made it worse......

That's some fine work - nice and clean. Did you put in a new drain hose.

Thanks for posting those pictures.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
On the drain hose I connected it to the existing drain line that was already there that runs down the inside wall and out at the wheel well. I used a short piece of new tubing with a plastic barb connector to run from the brass fitting to the old drain line. It works like a charm.

I wish I would have taken pictures of how I made the spacer. Like most of my projects it was just something in my head so off to Home depot to see what I could come up with. I know I built a frame using furring strips and then used the light cover as a template to match the curve using some thin wood strips. A little trial and error and I had it. Calked, sanded and painted and I solved the curved roof problem. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 03-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
(This thread is one of the reasons I so enjoy this forum! I may not have an Airstream -- I don't have the "mount problem" on mine -- but, boy, do I love to see nice work done and helpful tips from others: fabrication, potential warranty problems, etc!! Great food for thought, and inspiration on my own work!!)
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Thanks

Quote:

Don
Hi Don,

I really appreciate the photos! I got the AC on the roof and blowing cold air yesterday. Finished up and put the cover on today. First photos at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...tml#post540302. I will start a thread with more pictures tomorrow, perhaps. We’ll see how I feel after completing the cleanup. I will probably adapt your drain idea.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster

I've installed 6 Carrier units in Airstreams and have never used a spacer. Not with the Dometics either. It is very simple to scribe the curve of the ceiling to the lower unit and cut the plastic with aviation snips. Fits perfectly. If you must, you can line the ceiling with 1/4" foam tape, but it rally isn't necessary unless you are getting evaporator freeze-up from too much cooled air directly feeding into the return.
Lew,

Are these the snips you refer to as aviation snips (tin snips where I grew up)..?

I bought a set of these on sale a few months ago (you know one of those "a man might need these sometime" purchases).
Attached Images

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Yup! Them's The Ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
[quote=vswingfield]Hi Don,

I really appreciate the photos! I got the AC on the roof and blowing cold air yesterday. Finished up and put the cover on today. quote]

The two-tone blue cover with pinstrpies looks great.

Don
Old 03-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Thanks!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Don,

I really appreciate the photos! I got the AC on the roof and blowing cold air yesterday. Finished up and put the cover on today.
The two-tone blue cover with pinstrpies looks great.

Don
I will have to admit that when the compressor heated the cover up, the pinstripe tape came up over that area where it was stretched tight making the curve from side-to-side to front-to-rear. I was able to press it back down, but the curve isn’t nearly as graceful as original. It’s in the middle of the top, so you would really have to work hard (get up on the roof) to see it, so I didn’t stress out about it.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1973 25' Tradewind
wilmington , North Carolina
twin ac's

Just wondering, my 30 excella has twin ac's , I noticed most units have one, one is the original heatstrip type penguin and the other is straight ac. Is this a factory option or was the second one added? Also if necessary could you even run 2 on 30 amp power?

Thanks
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Just wondering, my 30 excella has twin ac's , I noticed most units have one, one is the original heatstrip type penguin and the other is straight ac. Is this a factory option or was the second one added? Also if necessary could you even run 2 on 30 amp power?

Thanks
Don't know if it was an option.......but you will NOT be able to run both on 30 amp service. If your trailer does not have 50 map wiring and unmbilical, perhaps you might like to upgrade to 50 amp service to allow 2 units to run together.

It's not really that difficult!