Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
A/C for a 1965 Caravel

We are thinking about putting a low profile A/C (Dometic Penguin with Airstream drip pan) unit on top of our 1965 Caravel, I talked to a Airstream tech and they told me that if you take the front rib and measure back 60" there you will fine a wire and a drip tube for a A/C unit, the front opening of the Hehr vent is about 8" from the 60" and if I place the A/C unit in that opening can I still get to the wires and drip tube. My Hehr back opening is on the back rib, so if I install the A/C unit in the Hehr will it overhang to much?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6874hehr.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	23676  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That picture is almost too shiny to tell what's going on. Is this looking toward the front of the trailer? How about a side shot of the roofline showing where the 80" falls?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Overhang

YES! It will overhang too much.
I put a Fantactic Fan there and installed the Carrier low profile ahead of it. Now the AC covers the entire inside quite well (I like the modulating fins) and the fan is perfectly located , aft just enough, for use above the stove area and the bath/toilet area. Outside looks balanced too.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
YES! It will overhang too much.
I put a Fantactic Fan there and installed the Carrier low profile ahead of it. Now the AC covers the entire inside quite well (I like the modulating fins) and the fan is perfectly located , aft just enough, for use above the stove area and the bath/toilet area. Outside looks balanced too.
So you had to cut a new hole, how far from the front of the Hehr vent for the new hole, and was there a pre-wire and a drip tube, what Caravel did you use.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
AC modification

Yes, unfortunately had to cut a new mount hole for the AC. Wiring was O.K. from the old AC (Coleman.)

The drain is still a problem and I have turned that over to my local shop. I am looking for that supposed drain line mentioned earlier. If its there we will find it. If not, the job commences. Someone in the forums said they ran a short line to the Black tank vent line....right there....You should have heard the screams from the Airstream mech on that one. I will let you know and beware....I just got a digital camera.

I really like your Caravel!! Nice job.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately had to cut a new mount hole for the AC. Wiring was O.K. from the old AC (Coleman.)

The drain is still a problem and I have turned that over to my local shop. I am looking for that supposed drain line mentioned earlier. If its there we will find it. If not, the job commences. Someone in the forums said they ran a short line to the Black tank vent line....right there....You should have heard the screams from the Airstream mech on that one. I will let you know and beware....I just got a digital camera.

I really like your Caravel!! Nice job.
Thanks, Airstream told me that if you measure 60" back from the front rib that there is a drain tube and a pre-wire for a A/C, they also told me that I needed a drip pan and that you can only get those from Airtream, and I did for about $70.00 and can only be used with a Dometic Penguin A/C according to Airstream.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Caravelle AC overhang

Toastie,
If your still up on the AC project, I finally got some help with the camera instruction. Here is a picture of the overhang problem we discussed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Caravel AC.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	24995  
Old 08-21-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
My .02, My a/c unit was installed forward of the rear vent. The wiring should be there. I had no drain tube in my 1965 Caravel. I doubt that the 65 Caravels came with one. I have had the int. skins off and there was no evidence of a drain tube ever having been installed. The wiring was there, however, for the a/c unit in the forward position. Check my pictures in the members photos section, I think I have a few pics of the original a/c unit that was on my Caravel. It was an old Coleman with the Metal shroud.

One note. If you do install the a/c in the forward position. Make sure that there is some bracing/support under the unit as the ribs in the center of the roof dead end before the center line of the trailer. I can't find the pictures I have of it right at the moment, but the Coleman I had on there leaked bad because there wasn't sufficient support under the a/c unit for the gasket to make a proper seal.

I will take some pics tomorrow when I get home from work to try and explain what I am talking about.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Carrier on the 69 Caravel

Note the overhang in ref to the before pic of the Coleman. Chris is absolutely correct on checking the support structure. I wish I had pics from the 66 installation. I had the Dealer maintenance do that installation. Pics on that when I get a chance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_0044.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	25015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caravel AC.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	25016  

Old 08-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Note the overhang in ref to the before pic of the Coleman. Chris is absolutely correct on checking the support structure. I wish I had pics from the 66 installation. I had the Dealer maintenance do that installation. Pics on that when I get a chance.
Camping World installed Dometic Penguin on my 65 Caravel and with an Airstream made drip pan, Camping World would NOT install the unit having it overhang, they called Airstream, and Airtream just happened to have a 65 Caravel that they just installed air, and we installed per there procedure, see attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7425a.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	25040  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #11

1966 17' Caravel
Red lion , Pennsylvania
1966 Caravel Air Conditioner Location

I know this is an old post, but there is little to no information on where the hole is to be cut. Airstream provided an instruction sheet that said 60" from the front rib, but the correct answer is around 30" from the front rib. There was a 10/2 and an 14/2 wire under the trailer skin. Hope this helps someone.

Imlhaas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, 1965 caravel, caravel