Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
A/C Dripping Water Inside Camper

My 2005 16' Bambi with a Dometic A/C started dripping condensation on the floor during a recent camping trip. I leveled the camper a little better and it helped, then I lowered the tongue a little and leaned it slightly to the left side helping more but it still seemed to collect water for a while and then drip for a while. The Bambi has had very little use and the coils are clean. We live in Central Texas, the humidity is very high and the A/C produces a lot of water. The drain is working and producing a lot of water also. It drips during a heavy rain but very little. The good news is that at 106 degrees the AS stayed very cool. I suspect maybe a problem with the gasket or seal between the pan and A/C unit or simply some kind of an obstruction at the drain line preventing the pan from draining all of the way. I plan to dig into it but thought someone might have some experience with this problem and save me from some of the learning curve. I could put it in the AS shop but what fun would that be?
Grumpycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
scroll to the end of this page and look in the box "similar threads". you might find this info you're looking for. if you don't find anything, please post the air conditioner model if possible.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
It's amazing how many similar threads you find after you post one! Rookies... Thanks for the response. It is a 13,500 BTU Penguin.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpycamper View Post
It's amazing how many similar threads you find after you post one! Rookies... Thanks for the response. It is a 13,500 BTU Penguin.
yes, always use the google search on the drop down menu. the airforum search does not pull up as much.

i don't have specifics for you but someone else will :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
I have the same issues. My AC is new (8 months ago) replaced the gasket 2 twice. Leveled and releveled and tried other positions - still leaks in the conditions as yours.

When I leave the trailer for a period of time I place two big thick towels when the run off drips. Getting ready to replace a few floor tiles where water got under them.

This is one of my two leaks that I still have - it also has to go away. I'm going to research the past posts as suggested above.
Judy
Old 09-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
marietta , Georgia
I have a 76 sovereign,replaced the a/c 6 months ago it took 3 months to figure out why it was leaking with all new hardware.The drip pan had a small hair line crack ..
scottgaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
I have not looked at it yet, but would a crack in the drip pan allow rain to leak or just condensation?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
leaky a/c

I had the same thing happen on my Excella 1000. Turned out the drain tube was blocked by a mud wasp nest. The drain line should be on the street side right even with the a/c by the banna wrap. While the a/c is running see if you have any water dripping out the tube. If not, then it is plugged and backing up into the drain pan. Running a thin piece of wire up the tube and out should clear the obstruction.

bruce
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Blowing compressed air from the bottom works for me.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpycamper View Post
I have not looked at it yet, but would a crack in the drip pan allow rain to leak or just condensation?
My problem did both
scottgaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
One of the best "wires" for unclogging the line is a piece of line from a powered lawn trimmer or weed wacker.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
I don't know if I should start a new thread or continue with this one, but here we go. I took the A/C apart from the inside and found that the water was coming in from the front curbside corner. The drip pan seemed to be ok but there was no gasket between the drip pan and the A/C unit at the square opening. There appeared to be some kind of caulk at one time around the raised portions of the drip pan where it contacts the bottom of the A/C unit. The unit was sitting crooked on the pan because two large bolt heads that I believe mount the compressor on the curbside interfere with the edge on the pan. The drip pan seemed to be caulked down to the roof well. When I lift the unit there is no sign that there was ever a gasket. I believe the outer rim of the drip pan can be cut out to accomidate the bolts without causing a problem but shouldn't there be a gasket or something at the square opening?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
I had a problem with my AC leaking in my 08 19" Bambi this summer while parked down in Port A, I came back one afternoon and found the area rug soaked. Most advise from the fourm was to check the drain tube for blockage, none was found. What I did find was that where the drain tube attatches to the drain pan there was a lot of a grey seal material. I cleaned this all off and found that the nipple that the clear drain tube attatches to the black drain pan had a small crack in it. I found some epoxy plastic repair, patched the crack and now I have had no more leaks. I have been full timing in the unit since I purchase it 6 months ago. The only other problem has been the fridge door insert keeps sliding out while on the road. Ps I believe that your 16 footer was parked on the other side of the Pioneer RV park the same weekend I was there.
c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
I'm glad you found your problem, my drip pan and hose seem to be ok and no evidence of water around there. I believe mine is missing the gasket around the square opening but we will see. By the way, we go to Pioneer every year during that time. Maybe we will see you there. Thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
I found an old thread that talked about the gasket. Someone had upgraded the A/C and installed the new one without a gasket and very little caulking. When it was running it was drawing outside humid air and creating a great deal of condensation. I installed a new gasket and it pushed down too hard on the drip pan, which extends outward beyond the gasket causing it to crack. I lifted the a/c back up and removed the section of gasket on each side where it crossed the drip pan. I patched the crack in the drip pan and buttoned everything up. Hopefully it will work properly. I appreciate the posts and I wanted to pass on what I found. Thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #16

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
What if your Carrier Air V has no drip pan to attach the drain hose to? How does one get and then install said drip pan? Help please!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
There is a soft rubber tube that comes out under the wheel well on the curb side (you have to really look for it. Take a compressor and blow alittle air up into it and it should un-stop it. I had that problem too. And that was the fix.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
panama city , Florida
Should the front area in the pan be full of water. It looks like there are two separate collecting areas ( one around the intake in front of the coils and one behind the coils) and only the rear area has the drain?
rwewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
I had the same problem. After reinstalling the a/c unit two times and checking everything we could think of, the 3rd person who looked at my problem took the shroud off and put some insulation around the copper tube. No more leakes and I think I'm getting better service from the a/c unit.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
Carrier AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
What if your Carrier Air V has no drip pan to attach the drain hose to? How does one get and then install said drip pan? Help please!
Hi, I really am not sure of anything but I will let you know what I have heard. The Carrier a/c does not require a pan. It has a built in pan that when it accumulates water the outside fan atomizes the water and blows the water out. No need for a drain, and you don't have the streaks from water running down the side of the camper either. I read in an old post that it was possible to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the unit and attach a fitting so it can be ran to the drain hose. I honestly dont know which is better. I would be tempted to try without the drain hose first. Good luck, let us know what you do. Grumpycamper