Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
A/C Drain line in Rear

I am adding a new A/C unit in the rear of my 34' TT. I want to run the drain line in the wall and out of the bottom of the trailer. My concern is the horizontal framework and how to get past them. Has anyone done this?
I also am going to power the new unit with its own dedicated power supply. This will allow me to use the existing 30 amp for the trailer and its needs and a seperate 20 amp line for the new unit. I want to use a curcuit breaker or some other means of protection for the new unit without going to a 50 amp box. This should be a stand-alone 15-20 amp "fused" protection. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Hindrance

There is definitely stringers in the walls that will provide a great challenge of getting lines in the walls.

May I suggest that you use some raceway and attach it to the ceiling to the point of exit?

You can buy this stuff at typical HW stores and definitley in a communications supplier. Panduit is a Mfr of such raceways.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
My '92 Limited has a rear A/C on a separate 20 amp service. It goes to a dedicated 20 amp breaker box and the box is mounted in the overhead cabinet above the bed on the oposite side of the main breaker box. Can't help on the routing of the drain hose. I bought the trailer used. It was a custom build for the original owner and I assume the A/C was installed at the time it was built.

I'm having a condensation pan problem with mine. Somebody really screwed up the pan and it leaks when I use the rear A/C in humid conditions. I tried to repair it several years ago and I'm sure the drain hose goes through the street-side wall. Three years ago I decided to have the local Airstream service department install a new pan. When I went back for the trailer I was told they couldn't remove the A/C since someone had used Vulcum to install it and if they removed it they might damage the A/C so much that it would be ruined. I don't know enough about Vulcum to know whether or not this is logical so I paid the $175.00 for their charges and have lived with it. I have a friend whom I've met since the above experience. He's a service manager for another company and has offered to tackle it when the busy season is over. He says it he won't trust his mechanics on Airstreams but that he will personally try to cure my problem for me.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Well I need a drain pan and AS said they should be in soon. I would love to know the dimensions of the drain pan and the size of the drain tube just in case the pan doesn't come in time I could have one fabricated. I would also like to run the drain tube before I go to camping world to have the heat pumps installed.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote