Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

A/C Drain ...leaking at drain hose connection

Last night I had a steady drip inside below the air cond unit (Coleman).

I found the outside pan drain hose in front of the street side wheels - small hole on immediate underside with a 3/8" condensate? hose inside.

Should I get at drain pan from up top by removing the shroud? Or can it be accessed by removing parts from inside?

I started from inside and could not easily get my hand in the drain pan.

Then I decided to try blowing it out from the bottom first. Seemed the easy way. But I hate to blow junk up into the drain pan.

What's the correct approach?

Thanks,
Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steve,

The Coleman has a pan that was added under the bottom half of the shroud, or under the unit with the shroud sitting over it. Depends on the shroud. The trouble is, taking the shroud off may cause the pan to crack or worse disintegrate due to age. The pan is no longer made.

As I see it you have 2 options. One is to carefully remove the shroud and hope that the pan stays intact, or use the reducer tip on you shop vac to suck the crud out of the line. This will remove the blockage and not leave it in the pan.

Good luck!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Steve,

The Coleman has a pan that was added under the bottom half of the shroud, or under the unit with the shroud sitting over it. Depends on the shroud. The trouble is, taking the shroud off may cause the pan to crack or worse disintegrate due to age. The pan is no longer made.

As I see it you have 2 options. One is to carefully remove the shroud and hope that the pan stays intact, or use the reducer tip on you shop vac to suck the crud out of the line. This will remove the blockage and not leave it in the pan.

Good luck!
Brett,

Thanks for your reply! I did try blowing the vent from the bottom with 50lbs in air tank (since I don't have a shop vac) and started it up again. I got more water "inside" than I got outside (measured roughly with a catch pan).

I was successful in removing the shroud for the first time on this 1990 Coleman unit and found that I would have to remove the cover plates in front of the top unit to get better access. Seems I can only see - touch the drain line from the inside where it attaches to the pan. Can't tell if that connection is the source of the leak yet.

I think the Next step is to get back on top and see if I can access the pan to clean it out. Supriseingly the A/S manual doesn't address this at all!!

Steve
25 Classic
Old 08-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Well I removed bout 20 metal screws and got the galvanized front piece *almost* off. It still won't come off at the back.

But I did find that it really needed cleaning on the front fins. Can see the drain pan and may get an upholosery brush on vac cleaner in there.

Really can't get a rag in to clean it out.

Steve
Old 08-01-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Found that it is leaking at the drain hose connnection. What kind of glue should I use?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steve,

If you can get all of the fittings dry, since they are push together style connections, I would use a small amount of silicone. BUT there is another option. Get a small length of tubing that is the right size, and a straight nipple. Cut the first inch or two of the existing tube off and use the new tube and nipple to replace it. Your leak may just be a matter of age and stiffness in the old tubing.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote