Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
A/C Cover...how does it come apart?

Hello.... I am taking the maiden voyage in the old girl next week to Gulf Shores and need to have my brother look/service my A/C since he owns a heating and cooling service....
Problem is I'm not sure how to remove shroud....it looks to be two pieces riveted together? is there a trick? or do I need to drill out all the rivits and separate?
A/C is working...just wanted him to clean out coils and check coolant etc..

Any help on this would be great as I leave on Monday..
Thanks
Pics of actual unit
1973 Ambassador

Old 05-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
Hello.... I am taking the maiden voyage in the old girl next week to Gulf Shores and need to have my brother look/service my A/C since he owns a heating and cooling service....
Problem is I'm not sure how to remove shroud....it looks to be two pieces riveted together? is there a trick? or do I need to drill out all the rivits and separate?
A/C is working...just wanted him to clean out coils and check coolant etc..

Any help on this would be great as I leave on Monday..
Thanks
Pics of actual unit
1973 Ambassador
Take off the molding. Then remove the other rivets that are under the molding.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I will see if I can dig up some pictures here....If I remember right, you see that fan right? Well the metal grid that is above it (believe it or not) about nine or so little screws seem to be all thats holding it down. However this one kind of has a different bottom edge to it. But if I remember right - it's not connected to the roof at all. I will be back with some pictures...
Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I found this picture...actually it turns out it is NOT the metal grid above the fan but just down from it
https://picasaweb.google.com/inesbil...96101906047202

You can see where I have placed the screw driver. But I think this was all I found to be holding the shell down and in place.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbuckled View Post
I found this picture...actually it turns out it is NOT the metal grid above the fan but just down from it
https://picasaweb.google.com/inesbil...96101906047202

You can see where I have placed the screw driver. But I think this was all I found to be holding the shell down and in place.
I have those four screws.... they are painted over but Im sure I can get them out.... I will give it a try later this week...
Thank you
Old 05-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
I have those four screws.... they are painted over but Im sure I can get them out.... I will give it a try later this week...
Thank you
Unscrew those screws, lift the rear of the shroud, slide it forward, and lift it off the unit. You will find out fast if a PO installed more fasteners to hold the shroud down, just go slow, that shroud is brittle, and the replacement costs nearly as much as a whole new a/c unit.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Thanks guys...got it off...all my screws were painted over and had to use dremal to get them out...mine also had a row of four screws along the top front.....It was a clogged up mess under there....