Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
A/C Condensation Line - location and size tubing

I'm in the middle of a shell off restoration and I'd like to install a condensation line for a future AC. We already framed in the c-channel to support the weight and added a 120v line, but I'm not sure where to run the condensation line or what size tubing to use.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Here's a little more information: I'm eventually planning to install a Dometic Penguin with a drain pain. From pics I've found here, it looks like the drain pan connection is about 6 inches back from the front of the 14" opening on the street side of the trailer. If anyone who has installed one of these can confirm this measurement that would be helpful. I just dont want to install it in the wrong place and later find out my efforts were wasted.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
.. it looks like the drain pan connection is about 6 inches back from the front of the 14" opening on the street side of the trailer..
"About", in your description, appears to be the issue. I agree - it's all about tolerances.

Look at it another way. The future AC requires a 14 inch square hole for operation. BUT, the actual unit will cover much more area. Although I will never be in your situation, my recommendation is to run the condensate line to the general location, but drill no through-holes. If/when you get an AC, then drill a hole top-side to accomodate it, then go inside and tin-snip the interior skin & connect the drip line. My bet is that the inside portion of the AC will cover the tin-snipped hole.

There's plenty of time now to determine if this is a good approach.

Also, a 1/2-inch diameter drip line is my recommendation. While a considerably smaller line is all that's necessary for the flow rate, smaller lines clog more easily.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Tom, thanks for the quick response. I'm on my way out to work on this right now.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Heres a photo of the install I just did, you can see the power and the drain tube.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...tml#post842610
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Heres a photo of the install I just did, you can see the power and the drain tube.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...tml#post842610
That is very helpful. I have my power line coming in from the back of the opening. Do you think I need to move it to the street side? I left a pretty big loop.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbosa View Post
That is very helpful. I have my power line coming in from the back of the opening. Do you think I need to move it to the street side? I left a pretty big loop.
That might work, you will need to skirt up the street side of the opening and 90 degree into the electrical connection of the lower section. Mine was a straight shot with not much room for twisting.
Do a mock up and see if the romex will contort before you mount the upper ac section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underside.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	104227  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote