Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
A member that I contacted took up my offer to send him the pdf files and images that I have taken.
I decided to take an image of the unit on the roof for him, a side shot. Well it is way too bright at the moment for an iPad. But this is what I wrote to him.....

Went to take an image but the sun is too bright at the moment.
When I looked the AC unit had sunk down even more that the last time I was up there, a good month ago. Went inside and felt the five tightening bolts, they had all gone slack again. So it looks like the heat and weight have dropped her over time. The drain cups are not on the roof but not far off now.
So I could be wrong about the second gasket not being there. The second gasket on mine is now a quarter of its original thickness and the factory one looks un squashed, that one being the drain line one.
I am scratching my head now. Will have to retighten the bolts again and the roof is already bowing. I have purposely left the white cover off on the inside so that I can recheck the bolts, glad I did but this amount of loosening is a shock for me. It is bloody hot here, today 102 F the heat down here has to be contributing to this issue.
One thing for sure, up on a ladder with a flash light you can see if you have two gaskets or not.
Cheers,
James.

jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #72
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
< snip > The second gasket on mine is now a quarter of its original thickness and the factory one looks un-squashed, < snip >
Wow, James, this is really troubling. Why is one gasket very nearly fully compressed while the other is not? Apparently the two gaskets are not identical.

Is the "un-squashed" gasket a genuine Dometic part?

Is the "squished" gasket a genuine Dometic part?

Dang, there are a lot of pieces in this puzzle...

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #73
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
For what it's worth, here are some photos of my "modified" Dometic drain cups:

Each cup has a 1/2" hold drilled directly opposite the drain exit. This allows removal of a sealing plug to (1) inject a bleach solution or other appropriate goop to help with mold or clogs, and (2) an easy access to "ream" out the drain with a weed eater cord (or whatever), pushing the clog toward the final drain.

I painted the cups with Krylon "Fusion" spray paint to eliminate damage from the sun's UV rays... an old trick left over from my Casita days!

I'll get all of this installed PROPERLY, per Dometic's instructions before our next trip... maybe do the MicroAir Easy Start at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1736.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	314511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	314512  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	314513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	314514  

Old 06-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Hello RFP,
Both gaskets were identical and Dometic supplied.

I have just come back inside our house after loosening all the bolts. I am going to let her sit up there with gravity and remember I also sealed her inside onto the roof with Sikaflex. Will let it sit there for another couple of weeks and see what happens. Got her running on my Honda generator for an hour or so.
And again looking up inside the condensate lines have water in them and she is level.
I think the mold issue will be a once a year clean out. And incidentally when the white cover is not in place you can access the main drain line from below where the filters are placed reasonably easily. An air line could be inserted to blow out the rubbish.
Don’t know if you all have dirt robbers where you live but here we have them. The two overflow slots in each cup would be a nice hiding place for them, that sure could cause a problem down the road.....
Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
The idea that REP has introduced is a clever option. I believe it could be done after the unit was on the roof with some difficulty, so a much easier job before installation. The UV idea is also a clever preventer, down here the heat will make ours brittle over time.

This topic is going to be a big hit me thinks in the years to come !!!!!

And regarding the bottom gasket squashing, if you think about it, it’s what you would want. If the upper one was squashing, it would be squashing the drain lines inside it !!!
So it may be designed that way but they did look the same, I just never considered any of this when installing the second one.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Looks like I have no other life the amount of time I spend on here.

But just adding another peeve I have......Just noticed another rivet to the left of the door inside has popped out. I must have put fifteen rivets in two airstreams over the years. These little suckers are a pain. I even spent extra cash to get a very good gun. Airstream will sell you their rivets but they are just the same as the ones Lowe’s has from what I can see, but yep Airstream will stick it in you if you go that route. I got a few from them and then compared them with the store stuff.
So I am off to do a full cabin check now and if any more will do them all at once.....
Old 06-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #77
1 Rivet Member

I have condensation dripping inside of my airstream when Ac is on. I called a local Airstream service department and he suggested checking the “flap” that separates the hot and cold area of the ac to see if it’s loose. He said it looks like aluminum foil. Anyone ever hear of this and is it something we could fix easily. He said to remove the cover to check it?
patty413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #78
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty413 View Post
I have condensation dripping inside of my airstream when Ac is on. I called a local Airstream service department and he suggested checking the “flap” that separates the hot and cold area of the ac to see if it’s loose. He said it looks like aluminum foil. Anyone ever hear of this and is it something we could fix easily. He said to remove the cover to check it?
What is the year and model of your Airstream?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Long Island , New York
This topic has really opened a can of worms.

2019 23FB International Serenity
2018 Jeep Overland 5.7L Hemi

Wally Bryan Airstream Club #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #80
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
This topic has really opened a can of worms.
I think you are right... Even so, my resolve is still good to wrestle this thing to the ground!

Old 06-19-2018, 06:12 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
OK I am sticking in my ten penneth in again as when I lived in England we used to say.
I did not like the connection CLIPS that Dometic supplied with the hose and cup kit. I bought some real compression clips that you screw down to tighten the seal in the pipe onto the connector. They just did not seem strong enough to create a permanent seal on the condensate lines, but I still had to be careful not to obertighten them because it was plastic on pvc. It is possible that you have an issue there.
But this aluminium thing you mention does not make any sense to me. The air blows down from the fan through a flexible pipe, this allows the air not to be contaminated with the return air that is going back into the AC to be re cooled in the box.
So you may have a loose connection there, just a thought.
Today when I went back on the roof while the unit was running, I noticed a drip drip ddrip constantly leaking from the unit onto the roof that was a good seven inches behind the drain cups. I just can not be bothered at the moment to look into it, the heat during the day here at the moment is vicious.
I said earlier that this was going to be a serious topic in the future and some other chap has agreed.
It makes you wonder if the unit should just be allowed to drip on the roof and evaporate away as it most likely would down here in the south......
Old 06-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Trying to upload an image here.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #83
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
I did not like the connection CLIPS that Dometic supplied with the hose and cup kit. I bought some real compression clips that you screw down to tighten the seal in the pipe onto the connector. They just did not seem strong enough to create a permanent seal on the condensate lines... < snip >.
Remember, James, there is zero pressure on this drain system... should never leak from the hose/plastic interface unless one or the other is damaged.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Robert, if you can why not post the images I sent you on here, to share with the other chaps.
I did a web search and tried their instructions on posting an image with the new iPad I just got and it was a complete failure.
Cheers,
James.