Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Jasper , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
The problem: when there are two outlets, the one that is not blocked will allow the air to escape, while leaving the blocked one still blocked.
How does one remove the ceiling vents to access the t fitting? I have a 2016 AS International Serenity with Dometic 15k a/c. Do i pry off from the ceiling with a screwdriver at the indentation?

Runaground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaground View Post
How does one remove the ceiling vents to access the t fitting? I have a 2016 AS International Serenity with Dometic 15k a/c. Do i pry off from the ceiling with a screwdriver at the indentation?
I cannot answer, because I don't know.
I have no experience with a ducted Airstream. The SOB's with ducted systems that I have worked on did not have internal drains.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
i wonder if jackson center "re-installed" your air-conditioner correctly. If they re-installed like they are installing the air-conditioners on new trailers, you may still have problems. Actually, i would not let airstream service do this work for me unless i was assured that dometic's instructions would be followed to the letter.

airstream is not installing these air-conditioners per dometic's clear instructions. Proper installation required two gaskets. The use of only one (as is airstream's practice) leads to a high probability of one or both condensate drain lines being "squeezed" and perhaps will lead to a leaky a/c installation, and perhaps the cups themselves being broken or otherwise compromised. This "two gasket" protocol has been discussed elsewhere in the forum, and you can read it for yourself in the instructions pdf attached below.

The drip cup kit can be purchased here (notice it comes with one gasket): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b0...?ie=utf8&psc=1

the second gasket here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b0...?ie=utf8&psc=1

dometic's installation instructions are in the attached pdf. http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...structions.pdf

i have just installed one of these, airstream does add the extra gasket, call them and they will tell you. The ac unit already comes with one gasket already fitted. So you just need the cup, pipe and extra gasket kit. Call dometic and they will send you pdf instructions on all of this.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #46

1984 31' Excella
Jackson , New Jersey
Easy way to clean drain line hose

If you want to make sure the drain hose from inside the airstream is clear, you can use compressed gas. You remove the air conditioner shroud from inside the air stream. Find the drain hose that is connected to the "T", which goes into the ceiling. Disconnected it from the "T". Use the swoosh condensate drain gun: Install gas cartridge into gun, line it up to hose, depress trigger, and let the gas clear any blockage in the drain hose. Make sure you have a good grip on the hose and end of gun. You may need two cartridges if is really clogged up. You can also blow gas up through the drain hosed going under the a/c unit. This is what HVAC techs use to clear condensate lines. See the attached pictures of the gun. You can buy this off of Amazon I believe. Super easy with this. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	314023   Click image for larger version

Name:	drain2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	314024  

crfield123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
There are 6 screws well hidden in the small holes of the plastic white piece, the screw holes are only slightly larger than the others. There is also a screw in the side vents.
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #48
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
i have just installed one of these, airstream does add the extra gasket, call them and they will tell you. The ac unit already comes with one gasket already fitted. So you just need the cup, pipe and extra gasket kit. Call dometic and they will send you pdf instructions on all of this.
No need to call Airstream. I can tell you as an absolute fact that they did not use two gaskets on my 2014, OR on three other units that I know of personally (all 2014 or newer). Maybe they were when you trailer was built, if so, they apparently lost the formula.

Did you read the earlier posts in this thread? If not, you missed this: "... so you probably know that Lewster posts a lot here including about AC leaks. I recall reading a post of his that described how Airstream uses a single gasket installation for the Penguin II while other RV manufacturers use Dometic's standard two-gasket approach. His belief expressed in that post was that many AS leaks would be avoided with the second gasket. If you have to pull your roof top unit anyway, you may want to look into that post to see if it makes sense to install the second gasket Lewster described."

Also, the Dometic installation PDF you mention is linked in my post you quoted... click it, you see it!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #49
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crfield123 View Post
If you want to make sure the drain hose from inside the airstream is clear, you can use compressed gas. You remove the air conditioner shroud from inside the air stream. Find the drain hose that is connected to the "T", which goes into the ceiling. Disconnected it from the "T". Use the swoosh condensate drain gun: Install gas cartridge into gun, line it up to hose, depress trigger, and let the gas clear any blockage in the drain hose. Make sure you have a good grip on the hose and end of gun. You may need two cartridges if is really clogged up. You can also blow gas up through the drain hosed going under the a/c unit. This is what HVAC techs use to clear condensate lines. See the attached pictures of the gun. You can buy this off of Amazon I believe. Super easy with this. Good luck.
I'm wondering if there were enough gunk in the line to clog it, and you use any method that clears the clog by 'blowing' the gunk back up into the drain cup, won't the gunk just lead to another clog?

It would seem best to be able to clear any clog by moving the clogging mass downward and out the drain. A previous air-conditioning/heating system in our home did this (and it drove us nutz!). The condensate drain would clog, and we would clear it by blowing whatever-it-was back upstream, where the crud would obviously regroup and clog again.

Your thoughts?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Well when I removed my old unit it had the old pan with the one connector for the condensation line. All I had under the unit was a shed load of caulk, no foam gasket.
Got the unit used so not sure how there was no gasket, although it would have been difficult to fit one with the old pan style unit.
I give you my word the Airstream boys told me they use two gaskets, I recon they learnt a lesson.
Either way I still do not get the tightening down of the bolts. Not even getting a click at 20 inch lbs and the gaskets are getting smashed down, Dometic says around between 35 inch lbs and max 50 inch lbs.
I am just letting it sit and go back in and feel the bolts again.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
No need to call Airstream. I can tell you as an absolute fact that they did not use two gaskets on my 2014, OR on three other units that I know of personally (all 2014 or newer). Maybe they were when you trailer was built, if so, they apparently lost the formula.

Did you read the earlier posts in this thread? If not, you missed this: "... so you probably know that Lewster posts a lot here including about AC leaks. I recall reading a post of his that described how Airstream uses a single gasket installation for the Penguin II while other RV manufacturers use Dometic's standard two-gasket approach. His belief expressed in that post was that many AS leaks would be avoided with the second gasket. If you have to pull your roof top unit anyway, you may want to look into that post to see if it makes sense to install the second gasket Lewster described."

Also, the Dometic installation PDF you mention is linked in my post you quoted... click it, you see it!
It’s just dawned on me, I heard a few years back that Airstream units around 2013 onwards had multiple issues of bad quality control. They had re expanded and hired a bunch of new people. Now I was at the plant in 2014 and was impressed with what I saw going on but they would not let us near the units being assembled, just the ones finished.j
Old 06-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #52
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
Itís just dawned on me, I heard a few years back that Airstream units around 2013 onwards had multiple issues of bad quality control. < snip >
Perhaps. But using only one gasket instead of the recommended two is not a QC issue... it's a DECISION. And a bad one, at that. For what it's worth, I've found the fit and finish on our 2014 23D to actually be generally quite good. I suppose that there are urban legends - perhaps based in fact... maybe not - that cut across nearly all years of manufacture. From example, the reports of water ingress because of a poor rear bumper seal (or missing bumper seal) on pre-2012 trailers. I'm convinced that there is a LOT of unit-to-unit variance on these things

Old 06-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
It happened to me... The hose was crimped...Take the cover off on the inside to see if the water is moving to the drain hose... it could be crimped ....
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #54
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyooo View Post
It happened to me... The hose was crimped...Take the cover off on the inside to see if the water is moving to the drain hose... it could be crimped ....
Discussed this twenty three posts earlier

Old 06-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sammamish , Washington
I have a great idea. AirForums should block the trolls, the pseudo experts and the know it alls. If you are in one of those categories, you are doing a great job of making this forum useless. If I were to speculate, I would guess that you are here to convert people to the 5 year throw a way fiberglass boxes. Your anti quality control rhetoric does absolutely nothing to enhance this forum and it certainly does not help anyone. Please go away.
PJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Is the condendate drain line accessable from the roof on ducted air conditioner units. Before I try to get on my roof I would like to hear from anyone who has taken the cover off and tried to access the lines from above. Nothing to access on the ducted units that I can see from the inside.

Rick