Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Hudson , Florida
A/C compresser will not come on

I have an 87 Excella. When you turn on the A/C the fan comes on, then the compressor tries to come on but won't. The low power light comes on. It is on a 30 amp outlet, and nothing else is running on this outlet. It is a Coleman A/C.
kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Try using a volt meter and check the voltage before turning it on. Should be around 115 to 120. Than check the voltage after you turn it on. If it drops below 110 than there is a power supply problem somewhere. Check all your connections to make sure they are sound and free of corrosion and are making good contact. I just discovered one of the prongs on the end of my cord coming from the breaker panel in the trailer was partially broken and was causing some voltage supply issues. It may not be the problem but it's a good start and it is always good to start with the simplest of things first because more often than not it ends up being something so simple that it never occured to you to even take it into consideration.
nate3172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
I've had this same problem when plugged in on a 15amp circuit at my house.

You stated you have a 30 amp plug in.

One other variable-your power cord. Are you connected directly to the outlet with a shore power cord or are you running an extension cord as well?

cheers,

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Hudson , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate3172 View Post
Try using a volt meter and check the voltage before turning it on. Should be around 115 to 120. Than check the voltage after you turn it on. If it drops below 110 than there is a power supply problem somewhere. Check all your connections to make sure they are sound and free of corrosion and are making good contact. I just discovered one of the prongs on the end of my cord coming from the breaker panel in the trailer was partially broken and was causing some voltage supply issues. It may not be the problem but it's a good start and it is always good to start with the simplest of things first because more often than not it ends up being something so simple that it never occured to you to even take it into consideration.
I will have my son check that next time he is over, Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Hudson , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
I've had this same problem when plugged in on a 15amp circuit at my house.

You stated you have a 30 amp plug in.

One other variable-your power cord. Are you connected directly to the outlet with a shore power cord or are you running an extension cord as well?

cheers,

yakman
Used the shore line direct!