Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2004 28' Safari
Danville , Virginia
A/C capacitor advice needed

I have a 2004 safari w. the 13.5 btu Dometic Penguin. I am attempting to run this unit with a Yamaha 2400 es generator (marginal, I know but not for routine or prolonged use). To that end, today I installed a SPP-6 hard start capacitor, which may be helping a little but not like I had hoped as the compressor won;t start if the unit short cycles. It will restart if the compressor has been off more than a minute. The A/C appeared to already have a start capacitor in addition to the run capacitor, so I installed the SPP-6 in parallel with both existing components. Correct, or should I have removed the original start capacitor?

Bruce Robillard
Danville, Va.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
I just threw a new Coleman 15K on this beast. Haven't looked at it yet in re hard start. Here are some threads I've bookmarked. First one may be best.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: A/C Hard Start Capacitor Install a Success!

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Air Conditioner Capacitor ???

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Timing Module Helps Kipor Start A/C

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Another Supco SPP6E Question with Coleman

I've got some homework to do, but am under the impression that the

5-2-1 brand

CSR-U1 model (1T capacity)

is the one to go with (where one has access to wholesale).

Have to check with an HVAC RV'n friend first.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Consider that the presence of a hard start cap will shorten the life of the compressor even when you are not using the generator. Best to remove it when done if your need is short term.

I'm unfamiliar with the kit and sizing but most of these are intended to replace the start cap rather than augment it.

Trying to make the compressor start when it short cycles will shorten the life further. They really shouldn't be started within 2 minutes of the last run. Most electronic controls e.g. the Dometic CCC will enforce a 2 minute off time. One of the few things the CCC does right but that's a topic for another thread.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
. It will restart if the compressor has been off more than a minute.
Even on line power the manufactures say it takes 3 minutes for the compressor pressures to equalize, and the unit should not be restarted until it is off that long. So, I don't think you have a problem, especially if you can start it in one minute.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote