Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Stephenville , Texas
'79 Sovereign 31' - Furnace replacement - DIY or take to shop?

Im looking to replace the furnace in my 1979 Sovereign Land Yact.

How big of a task is this? I havent been able to find any detailed info on replacing them. The usual info I get is that some modifications will need to be made. What kind? Am I gonna have to remove my stove/oven to get to it?

Id prefer to tackle this issue myself but since my knowledge of trailer furnaces is minimal and I dont exactly have a shop or place to modify parts I may just bite the bullet and let the local AS dealership work on it.

Also, what furnace would I purchase as an ideal replacement for my trailer? Id like to know so that I can shop around and perhaps get a unit cheaper than what my local airstream dealer sells them at.

Also, can someone go into a big more detail about the ducting for the furnace, as far as where it goes and how to get to it all.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Gasgano1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's my experience doing that on a similar model, a '74 Sov.

I had the magical help of a master mechanic though, so I must admit that if I had to do it all by myself, it would have taken a LOT longer to do.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ml#post1160707

That should land you at post #165 on my thread.

Good luck!

Aage
Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Y'know as for some of your other questions (stove / oven for one) why don't you post some photos of the spot where it is.

The reference to modification is because in the ~40 years since they made my coach, the height of the furnace shrank about an inch and a half, IIRC.

We used some steel from the old scrap furnace to raise it up that much on the plenum, so that we could use the original fresh air/exhaust holes.

Tags
sovereign