Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2002, 02:34 AM   #1
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
'78 Argosy central heater motor home

I just started my central heater today[electric ignition] and it almost blew up the motor home. It completly blew up the heater under the sink. Its a good thing I was in the back of the motor home where the thermostat was or I could have been hurt. Any answers to this problem?
It looks like a new heater for me.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Ed,

Let me sugguest you ask your question in the section:
(or have the moderator move it there)

"Interior Restoration Forum" -
"Appliances - Refrigerators, Furnaces & AC"

You might want to search that section for your furnace model and see if there are any matches. I'm sure others will want to know what you mean by "completely blew blew up". I know most of the later MH's had Duo-Therm furnaces. My (limited) understanding is that most of the trailers have Suburban furnaces. I don't know which is better or why AS used different units.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am truly sorry to hear about your heater, but glad you were not injured. If you haven't used it since last winter it is likely it needed a service just as the home units often need. Carbon build up and such might cause a delayed ignition which fired (literally) on a gas build up.
It should be a sober reminder to all of us how important it is to be cautious around gas appliances.

I inspect my furnace and hot water heater every so often, and especially after a period of non use.
I hope your motorhome did not suffer any other serious damage!!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:30 PM   #4
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I was looked after by the all mighty. This MH had been stored 10 years. After getting real mad and healed I toar the thing out. I found a mice nest in it. It blown out the first bellows 2 inches and the ignithion module with 4 screws. It blew the front door open and knocked me off my feet.
This is a warning for all rv's to know how to maintain their equipment.
I went to a salvage rv yard today and saw mostly burned up rvs and not wrecked rvs.
I think I can salvage this one and make it better since I have some hvac no how.
This is a warning to other rv's that these are not homes but a thing used once a while.
It was like a 20mm cannon going off 10 feet away.
I thought I knew what I was doing but I should have tore every thing out and replaced or rebuilt everthing that was lp or electrical.
Let this be a warning to people that buy or own rv's
By the grace of god I can wright this reply.
I have learned my lesson
Old 11-22-2002, 10:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I went to a salvage rv yard today and saw mostly burned up rvs and not wrecked rvs.

$350-400 is cheap compared to a burned out rv, if you live. I would start over before I tried to repair one that had already blown up. Just my 2¢.

John

http://www.rvcatalog.com/default.asp...7LF8IPDD4VET2C
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:57 PM   #6
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
78 argosy

Tks. I am going another route, The original heat is outdated. My friend helped design the hvac for rv;s 50 years ago. there has to be abetter way.