Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Blairsville , Georgia
'76 Sovereign air conditioner/heater

Can anyone tell me if the original equipment air conditioner/heater in my '76 soveriegn has electric heat strips or is it working as a reverse cycle system.
Chip Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What OEM air conditioner do you have? Every one I've seen has been a 12,000 btu Armstrong a/c unit.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Arnold View Post
Can anyone tell me if the original equipment air conditioner/heater in my '76 soveriegn has electric heat strips or is it working as a reverse cycle system.
Your original AC has a heat strip.

That's all that Airstream used in production, back then.

A heat strip for heating save's the compressor from running all those extra hours.

A heat pump type AC, has the compressor run for either heat or cooling.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Blairsville , Georgia
hi terry, the only writing on it says Armstrong 14. it works well both as a heater and an air conditioner but i'm concerned that if it's using heat strips to produce heat, i'll have a huge electric bill if i use it much. on the other hand, if it's a reverse cycle system, extracting heat from outside air, it would be pretty cheap to run.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Blairsville , Georgia
hi andy, thanks for the information. i guess i'll leave it off and save $. it's been down to 10* a couple of times this winter and my free standing, blue flame gas heater has worked fine. the furnace quit working so i do put a heat lamp in the trunk area to keeps the plumbing from freezing when it gets below 20 - 25.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
hi terry, the only writing on it says Armstrong 14. it works well both as a heater and an air conditioner but i'm concerned that if it's using heat strips to produce heat, i'll have a huge electric bill if i use it much. on the other hand, if it's a reverse cycle system, extracting heat from outside air, it would be pretty cheap to run.
Chip.

A reverse cycle AC in fact uses more electricity than a heat strip. It also wears out the compressor, faster than a regular AC with a heat strip..

The reverse cyle system, reverse's the inside and outside coils.

When the AC is running, the cold air is directed inside and the hot air is directed outside.

When the heat pump is running, the hot air is directed inside and the cold air is directed outside.

Internally, a heat pump, in simple terms, reverse the function of the inside and outside coils.

NEVER, EVER, does any AC or heat pump, use outside air for the inside of the coach.

Andy
Old 01-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Blairsville , Georgia
Thanks Andy! I love this place ... quick and knowledgeable answers for just about everything. This is my second winter in the Airstream, November, December and January last year and December till now this year.
My biggest problem this year has been condensation. It's really extreme and has caused a mildew problem. I open roof vents when I can and that helps a lot. A dehumidifier would be good but money is in short supply :-)
Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy! I love this place ... quick and knowledgeable answers for just about everything. This is my second winter in the Airstream, November, December and January last year and December till now this year.
My biggest problem this year has been condensation. It's really extreme and has caused a mildew problem. I open roof vents when I can and that helps a lot. A dehumidifier would be good but money is in short supply :-)
Some owners, run the furnace along with the AC.

The furnace keeps you warm, and the AC gets rid of the moisture.

If the heat is on, lets say 75 degrees, then set the AC, one degree lower.

You may have to piddle around with them so that the AC doesn't run all the time.

Sounds crazy, but it works.

Andy

Tags
sovereign