Old 07-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
'76 Airstream GT: A/C Fierce Dripping

Greetings fellow Streamers:

I don't have my paperwork in front of me but my A/C may be a Dometic but not sure. It blows out really cold air and also leaks like a sieve. In normal conditions it drips but this weekend in high humidity it became a stream of water over our bed! Did not make for a good nights sleep. Wife was screaming so finally, I used a water proof tablecloth to keep the water off our sheets.

But you know, electricity and water do not make for a good combination. The next morning, I took off the cover and decided to do this right and get to the bottom of it. As you can see in the picture, a previous owner must've broken it somehow - how, I don't know, but he broke it. He tried to repair the break in the plastic with Vulcum. He was not successful - it may be chewing gum for all I know but I think it's Vulcum.

My question is . . . the A/C blows cold air. I understand to fix this properly, the A/C needs to come off the roof and the plastic piece needs to be replaced IF it's a part is still available. I believe one of the PO's had the AC installed in the mid 80's - I have the receipt, just not handy.

Your thoughts? If the consensus is to replace my AC I'm wondering if there's a model out there with a thermostat that will turn on and off instead of running constantly.

Thanks much,

Ken Tuvman in MN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirACimage.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	106377  

Old 07-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Also, drain tube is clear - it carries most of the moisture but not all of it.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
I don't know if this will make you feel any better or not, but I have a 2009 International 27FB and this weekend, with it's combination of mid 90's heat and very high humidity, my AC dripped like crazy.

About 18 months ago, while camping at Fort Wilderness, I took the cover off and inspected the drip pan and drain line. I too have a wad of chewing gum like substance sealing the junction. While inspecting everything I observed the whole inner workings of the AC unit were covered with condensation. Not all of the guts are above the drip pan.

I had my dealer look at it under warranty. The junction was found to be leak free and the drain line was blown out for good measure.

AC still drips as much as it ever did. It drips on humid days when I run the AC. It drips on cool days when I run the heat strip. Sometimes it drips a lot, sometimes not for days.

I've since checked the junction myself and found it to be leak free. I've blown out and fished out my drain line- it's nice and clear. I've watched drain water drip steadily as the unit runs. When the blower motor turns off I've watched water flow out in a steady stream. I've tried the tips posted by others on this topic- like setting up so the drip pan drain side (for me the street side) is just a hair lower than level to aid draining. Doesn't matter, still drips. I routed all the wires and what not over the drip pan so that the condensation that forms on them falls into the pan. I keep my filters very clean. I turn my AC off from time to time. I hired a shaman. Still drips.

Here is my theory: The blower fan draws a vacuum between the filters and the condenser where the drip pan is located. When the drip pan is full enough, the weight of the water exceeds the vacuum and water drips out the drain line. When the fan shuts off, the vacuum disappears and the drip pan drains. When it gets good and hot the fan seldom shuts off, so the pan is full most of the time. But I don't really think thats the cause of the dripping... Just an observation.

Conclusion: Cold AC internals + humid air = condensation. Not all the condensation hits the drip pan. Mine ends up on the air filters and drips out through the grill below them. I no longer stress about it. I just put a plastic bucket underneath the AC unit.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Wish I could put a bucket under the a/c but mine is a gaucho bed - like a single apartment - mine is a 21' globetrotter and when the bed is pulled out and the a/c runs the condensation hits the person(s) sleeping on the bed.

I know there's a solution here. Just what it is, I don't quite know yet.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Comanche , Texas
My air conditioner is doing the same thing!! I would love any help you might have gotten!! I have a repair man coming tomorrow--I will gladly pass on any information. :-)
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
I did get this resolved - so I am told.

Took it to the A/S dealer and showed him where it was leaking - by the nipple that the drain hose attaches to - they removed all the sealant that was there, cleaned things up and say it's not leaking anymore.

I'm picking it up tomorrow and hopefully will not have any more leaking water on me while I'm sleeping! I appreciated they're honesty of not trying to sell me a new a/c and figuring out what the problem was. I'm talking about Shorewood RV in Anoka, MN.

There's a lot of stuff I'll do myself but the thought of pulling the A/C off the roof was not one of them.