Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Charlottesville , Virginia
'75 Argosy 22' Sububan Furnace Question

Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of inspecting a new to me Argosy 22 and find that the furnace will not light. The furnace does not match the original owners manual and appears to have a piezo lighting mechanism (instead of pilot light). The thermastat will make the internal fan come on but no flame. I do see a piece of metal on the right side that looks like a flat dome type button but it doesnt do anything. The LP works in the trialer and the valve is open. Any suggestions?
Thanks

PA180001.JPG (image)
uniquemicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
DANGER, Will Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquemicro View Post
... I am in the process of inspecting a new to me [not made yesterday] Argosy 22 and find that the furnace will not light. The furnace ... appears to have a piezo lighting mechanism (instead of pilot light). ... Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum.

You've got a potential death trap there. Read enough threads here, and you will find that, if your furnace was not made yesterday, then certain doom is surely in your future. Save yourself - Stop troubleshooting & replace the furnace.

That being said, I fired up my Airstream's original furnace last week for the first time this season last week, and my electronic CO sniffer gave it a "thumbs-up".

I think you are not being patient enough in trying to light it. Look again - The presence of a piezo-electric mechanism means there is a pilot light to be lit. There will be a thermocouple somewhere close-by that needs to be warmed to tell the furnace a pilot has been lit.

In my Overlander, if the gas bottles have been off for a while & I want to run the furnace, I use a propane torch (MAPP gas) to light the pilot. It can take a while, sometimes, for the propane gas to get to the furnace if the only drain is the small amount required by a pilot light.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
There is also a sail switch that the fan has to open to open the gas flow . If the unit is working on battery and the battery is low, the fan may not blow fast enough to open the switch . Try pluging in the power cord and see if it works then.
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep, that switch is cheap, mine went out... fan on but no flame...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
IMHO, it looks like an auto ignition furnace. As others have said, proper voltage, proper fan speed, propane, must all be present for this to operate. If this unit has not operated in quite a long time, it may be as simple as having the unit cleaned by a professional. Mud wasps and other insects can get into a furnace from the exterior vent and discharge opening and wreak havoc on the furnace. I have removed as much as a cup full of mud from a furnace. It may need a good cleaning. Be safe before you try to use this appliance. IT CAN KILL YOU. (carbon monoxide)
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I've had more trouble with Suburbans than anything on the coach: Brand new in 2001, heater motor in 03, electrode in 05, circuit board in 05 (changed to a Dinosaur), electrode in 07, heater motor in 07, limit switch in 07. Replacing ANOTHER heater motor tomorrow! Prolly replace the limit switch as well. Here's the bug
guards, everyone should have them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1428.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	69976  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote