Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
1973 Argosy 20
gilroy , California
'73 Argosy Roof Top Air Conditioner Dilemma

I am new to the forum. We have a 73 argosy20 and it needs a rooftop a/c. It has 2 roof vents and no a/c wiring. There is 30 inches between the 2 vents. The rear vent is slightly ahead of the axel. It has a single 20 amp breaker. Can someone please explain to me how to install . Also need an opinion on the brand and the btu most suitable for a 20 ft argosy.

thanks much

antgao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
Lanesboro , Minnesota
I have a 72 and if you take out the rear ceiling vent and the wood 2x2 on the rear side, you might find a piece of Romex coiled up there. If you do, you can install an AC but I'd be really hesitant to put that much weight up there with only a couple of 2x2's supporting it. I opted to install a Fantastic Fan and will make an insert for the rear window and hang a 5KBTU ac out the back. Will be much cheaper and adequate except for 10 degree temps. That way you can use your 2000 watt Honda generator to run it and when it breaks, you can go down to HD or Sams and buy another one for $120.00. Now I have the wierd tire rack attached to my bumper which will support it. You can easily make it work without that though.

Haoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
If you take out the center roof panel inside you will find the romex and the drain tube for an A/C. the A/C is supposed to be mounted 84" aft of th first rib. This means that you will have to cut a 14" square hole in the roof. There are plenty of instructions how here on the forums. Yes, you will have to brace up the openining-again no big deal-lots have done it. Lastly, just add another breaker to the box. I would go with a dometic 13,500btu w/heat strip. It's really no big deal-you and a friend can do this in a day or weekend depending how agressively you work and if you have everything ready.
WBCCI# 9259 AIR# 38927 TAC-TX 14
Stop Littering-Spay & Neuter-- Adopt From Rescue
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
[QUOTE=bwoodtx;1211859 Lastly, just add another breaker to the box.[/QUOTE]

Is the romex wire that goes to the roof unit already in the breaker box and just not connected to a breaker?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Thomasville , North Carolina
AC Install

I just installed a Domatic Brisk Air 13.5 BTU unit on my 77 Minuet weighs around 94lbs. I took out the rear fan and there it was wire and drain. Installed 2x2s and works very well with the drain kit from Out Of Doors Mart. See pic!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	169611  
Bio-med is offline   Reply With Quote