Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
71 safari furnace removal?

noobie here--does the furnace case stay attached while the insides come out?? -jim from mich
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Furnace removal

If it's the original furnace, then, yes the case can stay while the "works" are slid out. However, chances are that the bottom of the firebox is rusted to the bottom of the case and no amount of persuasion will free it. Best to remove the heat ducts, disconnect the wires and gas line and remove the whole thing to clean it and inspect for rust-out in the firebox. Be sure to remove the outside vent and the long center screw in the exhaust port before attempting to remove the unit.
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
[thanx Darol--I have unhooked the gas line and the wiring as well -it appears the ducting is under the furnace so------just lift and pull? Hopefully this unit wont have that much rust and I will be able to extract it!----thax for the advice Darol---jim from mich[tried to post pics but after 4 trys gave it up]
Old 02-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Jim. Remove the front cover of the furnace and look for sheet metal screws fastening the bottom to the ductwork. With those removed, you should be able to life and pull the unit out. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I'm not sure if you already realize this or not. But to pull the furnace out of the housing, you must first remove the exterior vent cover. Behind that cover there are two screws that hold the air intake and exhaust to the trailer wall. After you remove those screws on the outside of the trailer, then you can remove the furnace cover with the two latches, then the gas line (after shutting off the propane tanks), the wiring, and the screw that holds the furnace to the case near the bottom.

Now the entire firebox will slide out.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
I finally got it!--thankyou all!

When I first fired this furnace up it smelled awful-I assumed it was because of a bad crossover rubber tube--so out it came-and in the process of cleaning I pulled out the homes of many mud-daubers [from the exhaust pipe]-This had to be the cause of the smell-the exhaust couldnt get out! Also, after looking at it for 20 mins. I found the elusive rubber crossover tube-all cracked up,and in a very tight spot down low in the very back of the furnace--To remove it I just unscrewed the blower, tilted it alittle and exposed the crossover area[its the pic showing two round holes,which have been separated to get the tube out] I then cut a piece of steel pipe[2 7/8'od] to exactly the same length as the rubber one[1 1/2"] All this thing does is bring in fresh air to the furnace combustion box--I really dont see the harm in just leaving the old cracked one in place--thanx everyone for your help! hope the steel one works ok --jim from mich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossover.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	18481  
Attached Images