Old 07-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

deep river , Connecticut
71 overlander ac recharging help

I had a friend come over with gauges and r-12. He works a a boat yard and recharges units all summer. He said that he can not charge the unit because he can't find the lowside valve. On the armstrong tr22-12 unit there is a high side valve on the left rear, but we can not find a low side valve. If anyone knows how to charge this unit or has a good diagram for this unit and the wiring. I would love to see them. I contacted Armstrong via email and guess what they do not have any documatation for this unit. So as you would say it I am up $#@%s creek without paddles.

thanks for all the help

Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You appear to be a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbin View Post
I had a friend come over with gauges and r-12. He works a a boat yard and recharges units all summer. He said that he can not charge the unit because he can't find the lowside valve. On the armstrong tr22-12 unit there is a high side valve on the left rear, but we can not find a low side valve. If anyone knows how to charge this unit or has a good diagram for this unit and the wiring. I would love to see them. I contacted Armstrong via email and guess what they do not have any documatation for this unit. So as you would say it I am up $#@%s creek without paddles.

thanks for all the help
There are many things wrong with your post.

R-12 was used in automobiles, not Airstreams.

Armstrong always installed low-side ports because that is the only port necessary to charge a system.

You trolled in another post this morning that both the high side and low side ports are necessary to charge a system (contrary to Andy's (aka Mr. Airstream) post. But you did not explain your reasoning.

But the kicker is that Armstrong Furnace Company went out of business so long ago that Google has never even heard of them. There is no way that you could have swapped email.

Tom

Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

deep river , Connecticut
You trolled in another post this morning that both the high side and low side ports are necessary to charge a system (contrary to Andy's (aka Mr. Airstream) post. But you did not explain your reasoning.

But the kicker is that Armstrong Furnace Company went out of business so long ago that Google has never even heard of them. There is no way that you could have swapped email.

Tom[/quote]

Armstrong is a company that still makes ac's. but now only for homes, and freezer trucks.

my friend told me that new tank of r-22 hold about 90 psi. now the unit reads that on the high side it should be at 300 psi and the low side should be 150 psi. I guess you hook to the high low and the tank and it sort of creates a vacume effect to recharge the unit.

I really do not know how this all works I just know what I am told that you need a high and a low side. and one is not there. I just need some advice just like everyone eles on here and I am hoping to find it.

sorry for the confusion in the first post
Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You do not need a high side port to charge your air conditioner. You charge through the low side port to within 20 psi of ambient temperature. I forget which side of it, but, for example, if it is 90 degrees outdoors, you would charge to 70 psi. If there is a blockage in the system, or other fault, the compressor will shut down from high head pressure.
As noted above, you must use R-22 refrigerant, R-12 will damage the compressor.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
mpc
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Bon Secour , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to mpc
Terry is right, it is nice if you have a high side port to monitor pressure but you only charge through the low side. most times there are no ports on the unit until yo feel there is a problem and an air conditioning person will install one to service system. if the port you have is indeed on the high side then most likely was put there by mistake. i have an a/c business (island air conditioning )in south alabama and have worked on a few of these. yes r22 not r12!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

deep river , Connecticut
. Lennox Furnace Company founded the Armstrong Furnace in the year 1928. Armstrong Furnace was then sold to another company by Lennox International in the year 1957. But later in 1988, it was again acquired by Lennox International, now known as the Allied Air Enterprises Inc.