Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Foley , Alabama
'69 Globetrotter Air Conditioner Looking.

I have a problem with the A/C unit leaking. Upon inspection I realized that while it works it does not fit. A gap between the top of the roof line and the A/C Unit is about 2inches wide. It's been suggested that Spray Foam would correct the gap. I would prefer to fix it right, even if it calls for getting another A/C Unit that would fit my 69 Globetrotter 21'. If anyone on here could tell me what to look for in an A/C Unit that would fit, I would surely appreciate the help.
Mick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Measure the hole in the roof of your trailer. The "standard" AC hole should be 14" x 14". If your hole in the roof is larger than that, then the best way to correct the problem will be to remove your AC, then patch the hole, cut a 14x14 hole in the patch, and then reinstall the AC. If your hole is 14x14, but your AC is too small to cover the entire hole, then a new AC may be the best/simplest approach.

Is your AC the original unit (typically screwed or riveted to the roof with a million fasteners), or is it a more recent vintage (held to the roof by clamping the exterior unit to the inside ceiling. If it is a newer model, it could be that your AC has gotten loose, or was installed poorly and has slid to the side creating the gap.

Interior and exterior pics would be very helpful!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Is the roofline sagging or is the AC miss shaped?