Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Landenberg , Pennsylvania
67 Caravel and Armstrong Air not working

Hi everyone. I'm almost finished with my one year Caravel restoration. I have the polishing to do and an AC to get running or replace. I'll try to find someone to repair the original Armstrong AC. The motor runs, but there is no cool air. In case I can't get it repaired can you save me some time and tell me the best AC to buy and the best size.

I believe I've heard before that the 11,000 btu would be best, but what kind. The Penguin, the Brisk or what?

I appreciate your help.
vonzellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzellen View Post
Hi everyone. I'm almost finished with my one year Caravel restoration. I have the polishing to do and an AC to get running or replace. I'll try to find someone to repair the original Armstrong AC. The motor runs, but there is no cool air. In case I can't get it repaired can you save me some time and tell me the best AC to buy and the best size.

I believe I've heard before that the 11,000 btu would be best, but what kind. The Penguin, the Brisk or what?

I appreciate your help.
Have the AC checked, before you kick it to the curb.

For your Caravel, that AC is great.

It could simply be low or out of Freon.

When you say the motor, do you mean the fan motor or the compressor?

If the compressor is not running, the problem could be a relay in the AC, or even just the thermostat. The relay is not expensive, and the thermostat can be repaired, or replaced.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are a bunch of threads on replacing the Armstrong A/C and it's a major undertaking that requires cutting and reinforcing the inside and outside skins. With Carrier having exited the business the Dometic duo-therm "penguin" units are probably the best available.

A commercial refrigeration contractor should be able to repair your Armstrong. The guys who work on restaurant and grocery store refrigeration are the ones to talk to because they're used to replacing individual components. RV techs and home air conditioning contractors will want to replace the whole assembly.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Thanks Andy. The fan comes on and runs. I can't tell if the compressor comes on, but I don't hear anything when the thermostat is turned down. Measured the voltage at the thermostat and it is 8v??
Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzellen View Post
Thanks Andy. The fan comes on and runs. I can't tell if the compressor comes on, but I don't hear anything when the thermostat is turned down. Measured the voltage at the thermostat and it is 8v??
The voltage at the thermostat is AC.

It should read close to 24 volts, AC.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

1976 31' Sovereign
hampstead , North Carolina
Hi Andy, I have been in the r.v. business for 20 years. I have restored quite a few airstreams. I had the same problem. It could be a few different things that are causing the problem. I will be honest, the parts are expensive. it sounds like you would like to use this camper for awhile, and even if you don't a new a.c. will help with resale. Buy a new one. I have seen people that have repaired them, and then something else goes out a month later. Good luck , and enjoy!
rvtheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the advice. Does the penguin have an outlet for condensate that I can hook up to my hose?

Also, the dimensions on the Penguin say that it is 39 inches wide by 28 inches long? Sees backwards. 39 wide would be tough to fit on my Caravel it seems.

Brisk?
Penguin?
other?

Does someone who has done this know which one is best in terms of fit size and condensate drain?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
To connect the condensate hose to a Dometic Penguin you have to order the condensate pan from an Airstream dealer. For a 1967 you will end up needing to order an extra gasket to make up for the curve in the roof.

I have two of the Penguins on my newer trailer. As installed they are longer from front to back than side to side.

Some reading so you know what you're getting into:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...a-c-55715.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ues-56473.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...tos-20568.html

It's your choice but I think you'll find that you could replace the fan motor, compressor, and controls on your Armstrong for less than the cost of new and at least some of those components are probably still good.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Another useful photo is halfway down this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ong-68233.html

Also there are a few threads from people doing minor work to repair their Armstrong A/C:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ase-52973.html

Tags
caravel