Old 07-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
600 Series Dometic Penguin A/C #600315.421

Okay - I found the "manual."

If any of you are familiar with this unit, is it standard practice for the factory to put caulking around the nipple where the drain hose attaches? First I thought someone tried to fix the leak but from reading some other threads I see it's possible the factory or installer added this but don't know why?

I read the manual and am thinking of a couple possible solutions to stop the water dripping:

1) I already bought a replacement roof gasket last season but have not installed it yet.
2) Maybe see if I can purchase a replacement plastic drain unit that goes on the bottom of the a/c and attaches to the drain hose?
3) Re-install and make sure bolts get torqued to 40-50 inch pounds.
4) Use compressed air to blow out the hose.

Seems like some dripping in high humidity is a normal occurrence.

I did some Googling and found out some interesting information - here it is:

Any RV'ers experience problems with water leaking inside of there RV from the A/C made by Dometic. The model is from 2002 or before. My A/C just recently starting leaking water inside my Motorhome. The serviceperson advise me that the plastic water tray was separated from the lower frame allowing water to get into areas where the fan would blow water all over the inside of the Motorhome. I called Dometic and was advised they did not make a replacement part or kit to resolve my problem. My Motorhome is just over 3 years old and I had to replace the unit with a new one to resolve the water problem.

Technician replies: Ernie, The problem you have is only on the older style Dometic AC units that are not Penguin units. Yes, there have been "some" problems with the pan, but it is related not to Dometic, but to the Installers of the AC unit. If you do not set the unit up and down correctly, you can cause hairline cracks or seperation in the drain pan. The newer units 2001 and up have a redesigned base pan and drain pan. Brent

The sales receipt I have from P/O says unit was installed by Airstream in 1996 so mine is 14 years old but considering how little use the A/S gets, I'll venture to say the A/C unit probably has less than 100 hours run time.

Comments / Observations / Experience???? >>> Buy new one? If so, which model is recommended? Try to repair?

kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote