Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Newport Beach , California
2007 Dometic AC is flipping the breaker

We never use air-conditioning... Don't even have it in our house in Canada. But we're in Nashville and it's HOT! 96.8F in here at 4:44pm. It was hotter a couple of hours ago.

We caved and decided it would be better to fire up the AC than die of a heart attack. She started up great, got the temp down to about 84F and then started blowing room temp air. We opened up the converter and the AC breaker had flipped off. How dare it!

We opened the windows back up, put the Fantastic fans back on (which are normally FANTASTIC but can't keep up with 97F) and went to Google searching. We found the "reset AC post" and tried that. Worked like a charm, everything back up and running... For about 10 minutes and then the breaker flipped again.

We've got the windows and fans back open and running cause we don't know what we're doing and we don't want to do any damage... Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hot in Nashville,
NOT THAT KIND!
~Gay
oceanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

We're plugged into 30 amp service with only the fridge and AC running.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are others here who will know more complicated things, but at first blush----what else are you trying to run/can you shut off microwave, coffeepot, TV, etc.? and is there a power issue at your campground?? Sounds to us like you are overloaded in your trailer or there is inadequate power to support you and other campers----not at all unusual, really. You have our sympathies, it is mid-90's where we are, too. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If it is a power issue at your campsite, you could unplug, turn on your generator and run your AC til it cools off this evening.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

We only had the fridge and AC running. No lights, no microwave, no coffeepot, no kettle, no toaster... Two laptops plugged in!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Just trying to find someone with a power meter(?) so we can see if 30 amp service is really 30 amps.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might have a low voltage situation since everyone else is probably running the ac too! that volt meter will tell a lot. you might try putting the fan for the ac on low.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

The AC has the temp down to 76F and now we're frozen.

We've got an RV dealer on one side of our campsite and Camping World on the other side, so convenient! Anyone need anything?

This was the advice from the RV dealer next door:

#1. Everyone is using AC etc... and probably drawing too much power.

Now that made sense, but as far as we know (no other windows open) we were the only ones who had a breaker tripping. BUT after we mentioned our dilemma to our neighbor, the AC magically stopped tripping. Maybe they eased up on whatever they had running.

#2. Make sure that the AC unit is getting enough air through it and has nothing blocking it.

We took off the two panels (inside) to have a look, as expected it's brand spanking new. Smells new too.

#3. Run the AC on high, ALWAYS. Apparently, in this heat, the AC will freeze almost immediately if run on low. We never use AC, not even in our swanky conversion van, so we have no idea if that's proper advice.

It's been running for about an hour and I just turned it to "auto". Sounds like it's knocking a bit, but it's working!

Okay, time to go outside and unthaw.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yeeaaaaaay!! Stay cool and travel safe.