Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
2005 Classic - A/C problem

Need some advice... I've had my Classic stored for the past year outside and recently brought it home. Prior to "storage", the A/C unit worked perfectly. When I got it home a year later and hooked the unit up to power, the air conditioner started up... at least the compressor sounded as if it was trying to come on (fan didn't even try and come on) and then stopped. Subsequent attempts to turn it on failed. Any ideas on what's happening here? I have a 30 amp breaker, so it doesn't look like power's the issue. Thanks for any ideas/advice.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Jaxon,

There are a few things that you could look at, but you should be aware that the A/C unit is covered by a 3 year manufacturer warranty and if you so much as remove the shroud, you could be voiding that warranty! Plus you have a 2 year Airstream factory warranty as well. My first thought would be the capacitors in the upper control box.

I would pursue those avenues first, and if you don't have any success there, let me know and we can troubleshoot it!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Thank you, Lew. Haven't gone to the roof yet thinkining it was electrical. Capacitors, huh? Will check 'em out. Just had the capacitor go out on my home A/C unit - electrical storm...

Hummmmm...
Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Well, an update, a year late and a 3 dollars short... maybe help someone else out.

Called the local folks for an appointment to take it in. Got ahold of a fellow here, listened to my story and asked if I'd taken the shroud off and just looked the fins over, etc. Predicted a birds nest or other such debris. Told him no and promptly went out and CAREFULLY removed the shroud. Birds nest... must of been an Eagle judging from the size or at least a very prolific Grackle...

Cleaned out the nest (can't imagine how it got in there!) and sure enough, the A/C started right up and has been working perfectly since.

Could of seen maybe a wasp nest or condo but a birds nest!? Nevertheless, that's what it was that gummed up the works.