Old 11-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #1
Keysken

1982 31' International
Clarkston , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Sands
Post 1982 Airstream Classic 31' center bath

Hi Everyone
I have been reading these forums every night for about a month, and have learned much from all, thanks.
I removed my nt 30 m furnace ser #1274480, ( It was made after the recal problem) Thanks again to you folks. I took EVERYTHING apart, cleaned all and foung the motor bearings are bad. the shaft wobbles and was making a noise while running, the reason for the dismanteling. The motors model # is ( I think) M5779, NT 32/ 30m , american posch, ser# ( again I think) mo 661250 12v.
I would apprieciate any info : does any one have an old one, does anyone have a Intire old or junk furnace I could salvage the blower motor from. Am aware new nt 30 is nearly $500.
Thanks in advance
Ken Sands
Waterford
Michigan,48329

Old 11-12-2004, 05:52 AM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Check around with long-time established Airstream dealerships. I found the motor I needed for my previous unit in Lubbock, Texas at Billy Sims RV. The parts department had a number of new, out of date Suburban Heater motors still in the box. They also had several older heaters that they had removed over the years from which they could scrap for parts. Inland RV, Ace Fogdell, and many other dealerships around the country sort of make a living trying to provide rare and out of date parts to their customers. A list of dealerships can be found on the Airstream, Inc. website. Most can be contacted through email. Finally, there are a number of wrecking yards around the country that scrap out Airstream and other trailers.
GStephens

Old 11-12-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Check with www.marksrv.com He has parts for the furnaces, the issue with replacing the motor is tat a new one will run close to 200.00. Then you still have a PC board that can fail, or other parts that once you get done will end up costing you close to the cost of new.

On furnaces this is one area that I recommend buying a new one and just scrapping the old one. The furnace is over 10 years old now, and parts will be come increasingly hard to find. Besides the furnace is one of those things that if it is not working safely can kill you. We really want to avoid that.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
You may also want to try Colaw's Salvage. When I talked to them I was told that most of the salvage units were 1980 varieties.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
This might be a shot in the dark, but Grainger carried tons of small blower motors. They might have the app for your furnace if you can match the specs. I replaced a fan motor in my home a/c with one from them at a fraction of the regular retail cost.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #6
Keysken

1982 31' International
Clarkston , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Sands
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Check with www.marksrv.com He has parts for the furnaces, the issue with replacing the motor is tat a new one will run close to 200.00. Then you still have a PC board that can fail, or other parts that once you get done will end up costing you close to the cost of new.

On furnaces this is one area that I recommend buying a new one and just scrapping the old one. The furnace is over 10 years old now, and parts will be come increasingly hard to find. Besides the furnace is one of those things that if it is not working safely can kill you. We really want to avoid that.
Thank you very much for the Marks rv link. I just ordered a new motor for 98.00, much better than fooling around with old. They also have a complete line of parts for all nt furnaces. Again thanks so much.
Ken Sands