Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Pickering , Ontario
1973 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht 25' A/C Installation

I have a 1973 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht 25' and I have just acquiire a used Coleman Model: 7333A887 Roof Mount A/C unit for it.

Questions:
Would it be best mounted over one of the existing three vents and if so is one of them better than the other two?

Where might I find instructions on how to mount such a unit?
sysgenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysgenss View Post

Questions:
Would it be best mounted over one of the existing three vents and if so is one of them better than the other two?
no. the correct place is inbetween the center and aft vent. The trailer was pre-wired at the factory for this location, so when you drop the ceiling panel, there should be a piece of romex there waiting for you. There is also a drain tube in there, as well, that allows for condensate to drain down through the walls and drop onto the ground near the wheel well. This keeps that water from dripping down the outside of the trailer, which can leave stains, etc. However--you might not be able to use this feature with that air conditioner. To use it, the a/c has to be the sort that has a pan with a drain line, and I don't think any of the colemans do.

Quote:
I think the service manual has the information in there. You can get a re-print from the factory. It also describes how to add additional wood block supports between the inner and outer skin, for support.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
This is significant, Chuck; I believe that you know what you're talking about.

Does the same situation exist for the '72 Land Yacht 25 footer? Would the correct location for the AC be about midway between center and aft vents. Perhaps this explains why I cannot find prewired romex near the center vent. jim
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IIRC everything from 1970-71 forward was prewired. Coleman does not make an AC unit with a drip pan. That era of Airstream would have come with an Armstrong BayBreeze. The current trailers use Dometic Penguin.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I have a 1973 Airstream Trade Wind Land Yacht 25' and I have just acquiire a used Coleman Model: 7333A887 Roof Mount A/C unit for it.

Questions:

All Airstreams since 1964 are prewired for an AC.

The wire is located 101 inches rearward of station "0"

The drain tube is also at that same location, but only from 1969 on up.

Station "0" is the first main bow.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutro View Post
This is significant, Chuck; I believe that you know what you're talking about.

Does the same situation exist for the '72 Land Yacht 25 footer? Would the correct location for the AC be about midway between center and aft vents. Perhaps this explains why I cannot find prewired romex near the center vent. jim
All Airstreams since 1964 are prewired for an AC.

AC wiring is located 101 inches rearward of station "0".

The drain tube is also at that same location, but only from 1969 on up.

Staiton "0" is the first main bow.

Many years ago, Airstream had a drip pan for the Coleman AC's, but they are all long gone.

If you don't use a drip pan, the water will run off the roof as well as stain the clearcoat, in time.

You can use a Dometic AC with a pan, or use a Carrier AC, that doesn't need a pan.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote