Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
1972 27' Overlander
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
1972 Shroud gone, can I run A/C without it?

Hi, I'm a Proud and Excited Airstream Newbie! I just bought a 1972 model. The A/C shroud has disintegrated! It has been under cover, so has not been wet. I cannot afford to buy a new shroud yet, and have been unable to find a used one.

Can I use the A/C without a shroud?
Do I have to have some sort of cover on it even if I'm not using it?
Any ideas on what I can use for a temporary shroud?

Thanks for any help and ideas!
Colleen
gypsymoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Colleen,
I would not use it without a shroud. I have found some used ones at rv repair places you may want to check with them never know what they have laying around and you may just luck up on one. Also welcome to the forums a lot of great folks here.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
You can use the AC without the shroud no problem. What you don't want to do is drive it without a shroud. You can damage your exchangers pretty quickly and badly.

Also, the motor is exposed so don't let it get rained on. cover it with a rubber maid tub, but don't cover it like this when it is running, you'll burn it up. The back has to have air flow during operation.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Colleen,

You CAN run an A/C with no shroud but it won't perform very well, as the shroud is an integral part of the cooling and heat exchanging functions. If you have ever taken one off, you will see that there are foam seals on certain parts of the cover or sheet metal housing to provide a definite circulation pattern for the unit.

The blower motor should not get wet as it is NOT a sealed unit and water will damage it. I would at least put some sort of waterproof cover over the blower until you can REPLACE the shroud. PM me with the model and serial number of your A/C unit and I will see what I can dig up in an inexpensive shroud from my parts suppliers.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
How hard is it to replace a AC shroud? Mine is in pretty bad shape. It's got some pretty big gaps between it and the AS body which I'm sure red squirrels will find and will like to make nests under.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac
How hard is it to replace a AC shroud? Mine is in pretty bad shape. It's got some pretty big gaps between it and the AS body which I'm sure red squirrels will find and will like to make nests under.
Replacing the 1964 to 1979 Airstream AC shrouds is very easy. Either 4 nuts and lock washers hold them in place or 4 sheet metal screws.

The orignal plastic shrouds, when exposed to the sun, simply become brittle in time. When they become brittle, they crack and then disappear.

Replacement AC shrouds are available for those years, but made with fiberglass.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Not sure how bad is bad,But

But if your pretty good with your hand ,you might want to check out this site .This guy repaired his http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/ShroudRepair.htm