Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 Airconditioning Installation

I am about to intall some A/C in my tradewind and need some advise. According to prior posts that I have read here, I know that it is prewired for the A/C unit so power shouldn't be a problem. That is if I can find the wires! I assume that they are somewhat close to the center vent? Any help would be most appreciated!
Joe
joecj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Joe!

The normal route for the electric wiring is near center of the roof. I wouldn't, however, automatically assume that the air conditioner will replace one of the existing vents - - at least if you are planning a "factory-style" installation. At least in my '64 Overlander and '78 Argosy Minuet, the air conditioner was "cut" into the roof based upon measurements supplied by Airstream at a location other than the standard vent locations. The measurement is usually based upon a measurement from the front bow rearward and varies by year and model. My Airstream dealer handled the installation on the Overlander, and will also install one on the Argosy Minuet shortly so the information must still be available to dealers through Airstream.

In fact, if your '71 is like my '78 Argsoy, you should be able to see an outlet in the ceiling indicating where the air conditioning wiring is found - - I don't know, however, when Airstream/Argosy began this practice.

Good luck with your project.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Question

Kevin,
First of all, thank you for your input on this problem. However, after looking at the inner skin and roof pannels I can not find where the a/c should go. I have access to several pictures of where the orignal a/c goes and thought rather than cut another hole in the roof, it might be easier to just remove the center vent. But this would leave me with power and condinsate drain problems.
Andy@inlandrv has helped with information on this vintage coach and I would like to take this time to publicly thank him for his input. I feel sure that he is being considered for Saint hood.
If I had a dealer within 200 miles I would just let them do it......no such luck!
Joe
joecj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Joe!

The a consideration in addtion to those you mention regarding utilizing an existing vent opening would be adequate support. When the factory designed the air conditioning mounting area additional support was provided and there may be inadequate support for an air conditioner at an existing vent opening. This is speculation on my part, but it is something that you might want to check out with either an Airstream dealer or Airstream Customer Support.

Another consideration that has nothing to do with engineering would be if you intend to attend large rallys such as the International Rally. You will really appreciate every vent that you have when it gets warm as it often does - - remembering that use of air conditioners is not usually possible at the rally site - - how vivid the memory of sweltering at Dayton in 1999.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote