Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Battlefield , Missouri
1970 Overlander A/C question

I just purchased a 1970 Overlander with a factory a/c unit. The former owners installed a window unit as well that I would like to eliminate. The factory air comes on with a hum, but nothing blows. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Heather
kirtleyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1970 Overlander A/C question

Greetings Heather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtleyone View Post
I just purchased a 1970 Overlander with a factory a/c unit. The former owners installed a window unit as well that I would like to eliminate. The factory air comes on with a hum, but nothing blows. Any suggestions?
If the original air conditioner is an Armstrong Bay Breeze, it may be repairable. I would suspect at the bare minimum that it needs new capacitors and probably a fan motor. Your best bet for a diagnosis is someone familiar with commercial cooling equipment repair as the components in the Armstrong were most generally of comercial quality. An RV service facility will likely follow the normal "it is not repairable and must be replaced."

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Heather, it sounds to me like the compressor is coming on but your fan motor is not. A quick check to see if the compressor is what you are hearing hum is to turn the unit on and at the ends of the unit on the inside of the trailer are the louvers that deflect the cold air as it comes out. Reach up and put your fingers inside the louvers and touch the condensor. It should start getting really cold. If it does than you know the compressor is working. Assuming that it is and it's only a problem with the fan not coming on than that problem could be a few things. The fan motor is bad, the slow speed realy is bad, the motor capacitor is bad, the thermostat is faulty, or a combination of any of the above. To diagnose it, you will need to remove the shroud and the top cover from the unit from on top of the trailer. Once those are removed, there is a control box that is at the front of the unit (looking as if you were looking to the front of the trailer). That box has a top cover. Remove that cover and unless it has been damaged there should be an electrical schmatic on the inside of the cover. If you are able to post pics of all this I can probably help you with the diagnosis further from there. Just remember, you are working with a/c so I suggest not having power plugged in until something needs to be tested with a meter.
nate3172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Heather,

A good friend with a 67 Overlander had A/C trouble. He was able to find a local independent HVAC repairman who came to the house, up on the trailer and diagnosed the problem. He need both a compressor and fan motor. I forget the total cost, but is was very reasonable since the parts are still common in commercial applications. Plus he only charged the standard service call fee. I have been in the trailer on a hot humid day and it will freeze you out. I have an original unit on my 68 Trade Wind that is still working, but I will fix it before replacing if possible.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
When ours 'hummed' as you say...we found it out to be the 'blower' motor fan. Reach up inside the units body and give the hamster wheel a turn and see if it is tight or too tight...thats how we 'jump started urs for about a day until we climbed up on top and oiled it...some may tell you that you have to take the whole thing out to oil it but a bottle of 'ZOOM SPOUT' enabled us to oil it well and we havent had a problem since. Let me see if I can find a picture of the oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2273.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	85093  
Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Let me add about the zoomspout oil is that it has a telesscoping pipe that you pull out about ten inches and allows you to oil from every position (even standing on your head)...But The Blower fan is the only part up there that 'HUMS' if it is stuck. The AC compressor usually makes a more 'grinding' like sound. Check the blower first by turning that wheel from the inside and it should spin freely.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Battlefield , Missouri
Thank you guys! Wow...what a collectionof help and knowledge I have found!

Will let you know what I find out. Goin out to takle it now!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Battlefield , Missouri
OK...so I gave the hampster wheel a spin and the unit started blowin like nobody's business!! However, it's not getting cold. I'm wondering if it only needs coolant. Is there a way to tell if the compressor is kicking in?
Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
You would hear the compressor 'kicking in' when you adjust from the thermostat on the wall. It will have a deeper hum. However, you wouldn't do any harm to get some one qualified to check the freon in it...but I tell you what, this is better than replacing the whole thing. Also the thermostat might need updating too thats on the wall. Good luck and tell us how your doing so far.