Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
196O Overlander buying an Attwood furnace?

My heading is there because I need some advice. I have a possible deal. I can get a 25,000 or a 30,000 Btu Atwood Furnace with a warranty for incredible price. The price is a no brainer. I want to use it in my 1960 Overlander. I would put it where the old furnace is and use the old furnace doors and chimney.

Can I make it work. What do you think of Atwood 37637, Furnace 25000Btu ?

Brian
Old 10-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Look into how it may be installed. Check whether it needs to sit against the outside skin, or can if it be installed against the inside skin with just the vent tube going through the wall? If the entire unit needs to be against the outside skin, you may run into a vertical rib in that area where your current furnace is located and you do not want to cut those. It looks short enough to avoid the horizontal rib, but you'll want to check that also.

I noticed it can be installed vertically if necessary, so that may be a way to avoid the vertical rib, but you would probably need to cut a horizontal rib in that case.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am bringing this to the portal again. Do I have to put the cover plate on the Attwood furnace? I do not want to cut out a huge hole in my trailer. I want to bring the exhaust pipe out of the metal and put the small chrome cover plate on it. the attwood lays horizontal and it has a huge cover plate that is supposed to sit outside the trailer. I was wondering if anybody has ever put one of these in.

If I can't I will just pay the price for a Suburban. I bringing this subject up again because I have a great deal in front of me. I don't want to buy a brand furnace that one work. My other trailers suburban works great.

Brian