Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 30' Classic
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 72
Images: 5
1969 GT DuoTherm

I have had some difficulty finding a replacement for a pilot thermocoupler unit for our original DuoTherm furnace. Our RV repairman says this is all that is wrong with our furnace. I now have been told I can buy one for $105 and could replace the whole unit with a new furnace for about $450. I do not have experience with gas or furnaces. Are these old units safe and dependable? Would I be safer and better off putting our money in a new replacement? Appreciate any thoughts on this? Thank you,

Dave
__________________

__________________
dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
New Member
 
1969 21' Globetrotter
1965 22' Safari
1969 23' Safari
Walla Walla , Washington
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3
Check Home Depot

Last fall when we tried to get the DuoTherm heater working in our new to us '69 GT we could not get the furnace to work properly. We went to The Home Depot and bought a generic thermocoupler for $6.97. We installed it in and the furnace has worked perfectly since. This might work for you too.

Honeywell
36 In. Lead Length Thermocouple, Gas, Universal
Model CQ100A1005


http://www.homedepot.com/
__________________

__________________
WallaWallaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
Based on my previous purchases of therocouplers for the house, $105 sounds like someone trying to take your money unless that includes labor. Even then, that sounds like a lot. But then I'm cheap.
__________________
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Based on my previous purchases of therocouplers for the house, $105 sounds like someone trying to take your money unless that includes labor. Even then, that sounds like a lot. But then I'm cheap.
I quoted them that price, I'm not making nothing off of it. It is a NOS pilot assembly from a surplus parts house, and it's not your normal run of the mill thermopile. Sure you could adapt something cheaper, but the person wants what was there for ease of installation. If I had the unit here I could adapt a universal pilot assembly and thermopile. And thermopiles do cost alot more than thermocouples, theres a difference. a run of the mill thermocouple is about 8 bucks but a thermopile can be up to 60 - 80 bucks. A thermocouple only puts out 32 milli volts compaired to a thermopile which puts out 750 milli volts.
__________________
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
SteSpot's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,641
Images: 17
1969 GT DuoTherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaur
Are these old units safe and dependable? Would I be safer and better off putting our money in a new replacement? Appreciate any thoughts on this? Thank you,

Dave
What about the question about safety? Would an original 1969 factory installed furnace be safe today? Is there a way to check that out? Thanks, pj
__________________
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
What about the question about safety? Would an original 1969 factory installed furnace be safe today? Is there a way to check that out? Thanks, pj
yes check the burner out, make sure it is not starting to deterioate, also the combustion chamber check for cracks, or rotting metal. The older units were made out of heavier metal, and also a better grade than late model ones. And in reality, how many hours do they actually have on them. Most people don't use their coaches in winter anyway, so yes it might be 20 years old but never had much use. Use one 12 hours a day for 10 years straight I'm sure it would be shot by that time.
__________________
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_cool
I quoted them that price, I'm not making nothing off of it. It is a NOS pilot assembly from a surplus parts house, and it's not your normal run of the mill thermopile. Sure you could adapt something cheaper, but the person wants what was there for ease of installation. If I had the unit here I could adapt a universal pilot assembly and thermopile. And thermopiles do cost alot more than thermocouples, theres a difference. a run of the mill thermocouple is about 8 bucks but a thermopile can be up to 60 - 80 bucks. A thermocouple only puts out 32 milli volts compaired to a thermopile which puts out 750 milli volts.
My apologies if that is a valid price. As stated, my experience is in the home field.
__________________

__________________
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advice re. 1969 tires, brakes, etc. Dave Cole Tires 6 01-29-2007 07:04 AM
"New" 1969 Safari question... Bob Boucneau Our Community 5 07-08-2003 02:49 PM
leaking around front window of 1969 Caravel David Henderson Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 0 10-27-2002 12:01 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.