Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question 1963 Safari A/C?

I am looking at purchasing a 1963 Safari. It does not have A/C and I have heard that some of these came braced and wired for A/C. My serial # is 22TS1005(I think that is it) Is there anyone who can tell me if this one is equipped for A/C? If not are there any recomended window units to use as an alternative to cutting a hole removing interior skin, adding bracing, and wiring and drain line. Any help will be appreciated
srgntpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1963 Safari A/C?

Greetings SrgntPepper!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

It is very likely that the '63 Safari that you are considering was pre-wired for air conditioning. My notes indicate that the pre-wire for air conditioning started in '61 for most models. One way to double-check is to look at the breaker box - - if there are three breakers, the coach is very likely pre-wired for air conditioning - - one of the circuit breakers will not be connected to anything (this is the one provided as part of the air conditioning pre-wire).

My notes also indicate that only the wiring was included in the prepartion for air conditioning. The drain hoses for the drain pan will need to be added if the air conditioner that you select happens to be one that has an available condesate pan (condesate pans are only available through an Airstream dealer or authorized service center). You will find that a hole will need to be cut for the air conditioner as Vintage Airstreams do not use an existing vent opening for an air conditioner; rather it is cut into the roof (and through the ceiling) at a specific point measured from the first main roof bow at the front of the coach - - the actual placement can be found by contacting an Airstream dealer or Airstream Customer Support at the factory. Be prepared to add wood bracing between the roof and ceiling panels around the perimeter of the opening cut for the air condtioner to prevent crushing the two panels when the air conditioner mounts are tightened.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags