Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
1962 globetrotter gets a/c and a fantastic fan

I VENTURED ON TO CAMPING WORLD TODAY AND GOT THE FANTASTIC FAN THAT A FEW OF YOU HAD SUGGESTED.IM SO GLAD TO HAVE HAD PEOPLE ANSWER MY THREADS AND OFFER THEIR ADVISE AND HELP OUT.WHILE I WAS THERE I FOUND OUT A LITTLE ABOUT A/C UNITS. I ORDERED THE POLAR CAT OR POLAR CUB MODEL . IT WAS RATED AT 9000 BTU MAYBE A BIT FAVORABLY, BUT IS SAID TO BE MORE LIKE AN HONEST 8300 BTU AND IM TOLD IT WILL EASILY COOL A 19FT TRAILER TO REFRIDGERATOR STATUS.MORE IMPORTANTLY IT IS A 110 VOLT UNIT WITH ONLY AN 8 AMP DRAW ON HIGH.NOT TO MENTION IT IS ON SPECIAL AT CAMPING WORLD TILL THE 28TH OF THIS MONTH,,. PRESIDENTS CLUB MEMBER PRICE $521.00.The spec sheet also showed their cost of $388.00.I AM TOLD YOU CAN RUN THIS AT ANY RV PARK.THE NEXT BIGGEST MODEL UP IS THEIR 13500 BTU UNIT AND COST IS THE SAME $521.00 on special rite now,HOWEVER IT IS ALSO 40LBS HEAVIER WEIGHING IN AT AROUND 140LBS VS 101 LBS ON THE SMALLER UNIT.THAT WAS MY CONCERN WITH AN UNBRACED ROOF ON AN OLDER TRAILER,AND I WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE OVERKILL AND WOULD COOL TO MEAT LOCKER STATUS IN SMALLER TRAILERS,NOT TO MENTION THE ADITIONAL AMP DRAW,WHICH BY THE WAY WAS STILL QUITE CONSERVATIVE, AT 14 AMP DRAW UNDER FULL POWER,ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU FIGURE TRHAT IS STILL JUST UNDER THE 15 AMP CIRCUIT ANY RV PARK WOULD PROVIDE.IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR BEST DEAL OUT FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO KNOW WITH LARGER TRAILERS.INSTALLATION FOR EITHER OF THESE A/C UNITS IS $69.00 at camping world.the fantastic fan installation there is also $69.00. HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL FROM A HAPPY CAMPER, REGARDS WAYNE
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:22 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Wayne -
If you got Camping World to install your A/C for $69.00, you're doing great. If there is a 20 or possibly a 30 amp circuit breaker in your panel, then your unit should be wired for an A/C. My older unit is not wired for one.

The roof can be braced with 1 and 1/2" aluminum channels between the skins on either side of the vent opening. I plan on doing this when I get ready to install my Coleman later this spring.

Keep in mind that the rating of the A/C is while the unit is running. At start-up it will draw more amperage than actually rated.

You'll really enjoy the A/C and Fantastic Fan alot.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
1962 globetrotter fan and a/c install

fly fisher, thanks for the reply,your so rite about yesterday today and tomorrow.hopefully its worry no more.i do have an extra 20 or 30 amp breaker in the closet panel breaker box set. it looks like a dual buss fuse type although i havent opened it ,and it has a trip/reset lever.do you think my original roof will support the 100lb a/c unit without additional bracing?if not where do i get it and how should i bend it? no i need to take apart the inner or outer skins to put it in.dosent the rectangle box area help reinforce it some? thanks for any info.(i had to order my aa/c unit and it wont come in from bakersfield till thursday may 9th and camping world is doing the install on monday i think. thanks for any info. wayne
Old 05-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Wayne, I have never installed an A/C unit on an Airstream, but have experience replacing one of my vents with a Fantastic Fan. I recall on a post a while back someone mentioned using 2X4's as bracing for the A/C unit, if the unit did not come with an A/C originally. Maybe someone in the know will chime in with the info.
With that smaller A/C, you should be able to run it with a Honda EU2000I generator, no sweat
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
1962 globetrotter

brad, what can you tell me about dinkie twinkie , the two pics? i see they are in your collection, flyfisher ,are these yours too? isee your in arizona by the 59 picture. i have a boddy in the neighborhood that has a 59 flying cloud. the dinkies look a lot like my 62 globetrotter. i see an a/c unit on the roof too. wonder if it had to be braced?i see mannings shine in your pics at photos com. im going to the napa silver social nerxt week hope to see it there.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Thumbs up reply 31ft soverign land yacht

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
Wayne, I have never installed an A/C unit on an Airstream, but have experience replacing one of my vents with a Fantastic Fan. I recall on a post a while back someone mentioned using 2X4's as bracing for the A/C unit, if the unit did not come with an A/C originally. Maybe someone in the know will chime in with the info.
With that smaller A/C, you should be able to run it with a Honda EU2000I generator, no sweat
'' cool'' ill have to get camping world to brace it if 100lbs is too heavy for the rooftop. the generator sounds like a cool idea. i think the fan and a/c combo will work out nice and thanks to you for the reply. regards wayne 62 globetrotter
Old 05-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Wayne - as I understand it, although I could be off base somewhat, I've heard that if your trailer's breaker box has an unused 20 or 30 amp breaker, then your unit is wired for an A/C. If this is the case, the roof should be braced for the A/C as well. This supposedly started in/around the time of your coach's manufacter date. You should be able to take off the aluminum trim frame from the inside of the trailer at the roof vent in the center of your trailer. There you should see the unused wiring for the A/C and the bracing between the skins, running lengthwise with the trailer. These should not be curved as there are ribs that run perpendicular to the frame of the trailer. I think I have saved somewhere on my computer, more info about A/C's and their installation in older units. I'll look for it and let you know.

The Dinky Twinkie photos were taken at a VAC rally last fall in southern California. They do not belong to me, unfortunately. I will not be attending the Silver Trailer Social but will be attending the AirstreamForum's Rocky Mountain rally next month in northern New Mexico. Plenty of room for more.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 11:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
1962 globetrotter roof brace

thanks brad for sharing info on the roof bracing.ive been out there to look at the inside roof braces. i do feel yhe overhead/verticals but its hard to tell if theres overhead horizontals with inside skins attatched.ive got a sneakin suspicion youre right about the vintage/factory beginnings for the period where pre wiring and factory bracing are concerned.i saw an older thread on the site from 64 overlander saying the same. it does feel adequately stout at the rectangular opening and possibly already has factory a/c roof braces in place for the a/c and may already be pre wired there and at the fan opening also.i rtead that wood will suffice as well as other bracing if not. i guess its a matter of sandwiching in something between the skins to keep them off each other with the additional weight of the a/c .i guess it all will be hard wired in and that xtra lug is the factory intended a/c breaker.thanks again for all the info. im getting a clear picture now,hope to complete the install after this weeks upcoming event at the napa silver trailer social. talk to you later thanks wayne 1962 globetrotter
Old 05-05-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
1962 globetrotter a/c dilemma

not good news, i just called camoping world and they said all the a/c units they know of are for a 14 inch square opening. mine has the skylite opening about 14 by 25 inch rectangular opening. i dont know if anyone has used the air conditioner there,or if anybody makes one for that size opening.or do you have to modify the roof line in some way and are limited to adapting a 14 by 14 a/c unit to fit there. can anyone help or tell me of a current model brand name.or does someone have a unit to sell that will fit. thanks in advance for your replys wayne 1962 gloibetrotter
Old 05-05-2003, 10:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
1962 globetrotter a/c

there must have been an a/c unit to fit there at some time,it is pre wired and has the xtra fuse breaker and is already roof braced thanks wayne
Old 05-05-2003, 10:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1962 Globetrotter A/C Dilemma

Greetings Wayne!

It has been my understanding that Airstream began to pre-wire and add the supports for air conditioning beginning in 1961. It has never been entirely clear whether it was one of those features that was phased in by plant or model. If the Globetrotter is similar to other Airstreams of the period, the air conditioner was not installed in one of the standard vent openings; rather the air conditioner was installed in a position measured from the front main roof bow to the rear - - the exact position varied by coach and evidently must still be available from Airstream as I have seen these measurements quoted from time-to-time on the VAC list. Power was typically available at each of the vent openings to facilitate installation of the optional vent fans according to my understanding.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 12:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Steve,

I owned a '63 Globetrotter 19' that I partially installed a Coleman A/C on top. I had the longer 25" opening you are refering to. I bolted the A/C to the top with the 4 bolts and it took the weight fine, but I didn't finish the install. My plans were to mount from the front and any extra opening at the back end was going to be capped and vulcumed for seal. I had to drill out rivits from the inside looking for the wireing which I did NOT find.

If you open it up from the inside, you may want to go ahead and put in some 1 1/2" wood supports lengthwise. (I would rip a 2x4, paint and install with Liquid Nails after you have the 110 volt taken care of.)

Sorry I can't help more than that. (I opted to get a newer larger model.)

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Factory installed AC wiring was always at a 14 x 14 vent.

It was never run to the 14 x 26 vent.

Wiring location charts are available, when the correct year and length are given.

Andy
inlandrv.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:39 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
reply to overlander64 kevin

thanks for the info on the a/c installation on my globetrotter. im taking a new course of action after my 200 mile round trip journey to toscanos rv (the nearest airstream dealer to me in los banos california.when i originally called them this morning ron agreed that the ac units were for the 14 inch hole.i held out on returning the fantastic fan though and im glad i did (i really wanted to have both the fan as well as the a/c) it was a let down when i learned yesterday that the a/c units were not for the skylite hole but i was sure i had seen aothers there at this years hobo rally.in the case of my globetrotter when ron at toscanos looked at the trailer and we unboxed a new a/c the latest choice a duo therm 13500 btu,and looked at the roofline at the 14inch vent(toward the rear of the trailer) we could see that the roof slopes off back there right off the roof vent (over the bathroom area )and can not facilitate a proper a/c installation(the little model trailer does not provide enough flat surface to seat the overhanging a/c units length.most of the overhang is facing to the rear of the trailer hanging above the slope.upon checking ron found there to be an existing xtra 20amp breaker in the breaker box in the closet under the 14inch vent .he said it looked like it was already going to something,probably to the roof vent locations as prewires.i dont know yet which roof vent will sport the 110 volt wire or if one of them will sport a 12 volt prewire for the fan installation but hopefully the 12 volt will show up at the rear 14inch vent and the 110 at the 14by 26 inch skylite opening as we are back to the original game plan and im told at airstream we should be able to mount the a/c at the skylite ,and that the roof is already braced at both locations..they still recomended duo therms 13500 btu and im sure to want to stay with brand names recomended by airstream.im more confident with the dealer install at this point also,vs a camping world installation and less pop[ular a/c unit.im (in the 1500 dollar range plus ). (1750 incuding the fantastic fan and installation and duo therms a/c unit with installation.they quoted me alowing to run the wires if necessary.im glad to have both ,and the a/c is at the end id wanted it at the entry door centered between the 2 beds. it didnt make much sense in the bathroom area and directly over your head above the rear bed.when i first called they said they had never seen the a/c at the skylite ,but upon checking things out it looks like a go.were on for the 20th of this mo. thanks a lot to all wayne 62 globetrotter
Old 05-06-2003, 11:27 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
AC position

Another interesting fact, factory installed AC in the 60s and early 70s used an A/S proprietary design that did NOT use any of the existing vent openings. The factory bracing and wiring expected this proprietary type unit. I wish I could remember the name of the manufacturer (seems like they were called Bay Breeze). (added...I just remembered the manufacturer was Armstrong)

The AC was in two sections. The outside section contained the compressor, the condensor coil, condensor fan and the fan motor. The inside section contained the evaporator coil (part that gets cold, drip pan, and the interior fan blade. During installation, small holes were cut thru the top and inside skins for the refrigerant lines to/from the evaporator, the fan motor shaft (motor had a short shaft on one side used for the topside condensor fan and a longer shaft on the opposite side that extended into the interior for the evaporator fan blade), and a hole for the electrical. The topside fan exhausted air vertically while the inside fan exhausted to the edges, but both were blade fans not squirrel cages.

The installation could be done in the field, but NOT as a DIY project since the refrigerant connections had to be field soldered and then the unit vacuum purged and finally charged with R-12 refrigerant.

I am not sure when A/S moved away from this design, but I DO know that this was the way it was done during that timeframe as my parents owned several A/S during that period. These A/C units had a very low outside profile and worked extremely well. The lower profile outside was slightly offset by a slightly deeper unit inside, (compared to the Dometic units A/S uses today). The topside housing was a custom aluminum design that blended into the overall aerodynamic A/S look. I remember how quite the units ran, especially on low speed (more than enough cooling at night).

I know that this does not help you with a new install, but thought a bit of history might be interesting.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
62 globetrotter a/c woes

thanks for thje reply, its all been interesting to me a bit tricky at times and labor intensive,and seems a bit costly but i am anxious and feel it will be worthh while to have the unit a comfortable cool.ill be comml truck driving in the bay area and have found a place on the peninsula where it is a little cooler and im focused on the airports with the location to get me thru the work week .im at the perfect location now mid way between san jose and sanfrancisco airport.i hope it all goes well and comes toghether for me by the first of the month. i can picture the old a/c units of the old days,feel i made the rite choice sticking with the airstream dealer. it has to last a while. thanks again wayne 62 globetrotter

Tags
1962, 1962 globetrotter