Old 05-06-2003, 11:27 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
AC position

Another interesting fact, factory installed AC in the 60s and early 70s used an A/S proprietary design that did NOT use any of the existing vent openings. The factory bracing and wiring expected this proprietary type unit. I wish I could remember the name of the manufacturer (seems like they were called Bay Breeze). (added...I just remembered the manufacturer was Armstrong)

The AC was in two sections. The outside section contained the compressor, the condensor coil, condensor fan and the fan motor. The inside section contained the evaporator coil (part that gets cold, drip pan, and the interior fan blade. During installation, small holes were cut thru the top and inside skins for the refrigerant lines to/from the evaporator, the fan motor shaft (motor had a short shaft on one side used for the topside condensor fan and a longer shaft on the opposite side that extended into the interior for the evaporator fan blade), and a hole for the electrical. The topside fan exhausted air vertically while the inside fan exhausted to the edges, but both were blade fans not squirrel cages.

The installation could be done in the field, but NOT as a DIY project since the refrigerant connections had to be field soldered and then the unit vacuum purged and finally charged with R-12 refrigerant.

I am not sure when A/S moved away from this design, but I DO know that this was the way it was done during that timeframe as my parents owned several A/S during that period. These A/C units had a very low outside profile and worked extremely well. The lower profile outside was slightly offset by a slightly deeper unit inside, (compared to the Dometic units A/S uses today). The topside housing was a custom aluminum design that blended into the overall aerodynamic A/S look. I remember how quite the units ran, especially on low speed (more than enough cooling at night).

I know that this does not help you with a new install, but thought a bit of history might be interesting.

david & bret
'02 Bambi LS
'99 34' Limited
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 05:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
62 globetrotter a/c woes

thanks for thje reply, its all been interesting to me a bit tricky at times and labor intensive,and seems a bit costly but i am anxious and feel it will be worthh while to have the unit a comfortable cool.ill be comml truck driving in the bay area and have found a place on the peninsula where it is a little cooler and im focused on the airports with the location to get me thru the work week .im at the perfect location now mid way between san jose and sanfrancisco airport.i hope it all goes well and comes toghether for me by the first of the month. i can picture the old a/c units of the old days,feel i made the rite choice sticking with the airstream dealer. it has to last a while. thanks again wayne 62 globetrotter

wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote

1962, 1962 globetrotter