Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
1.5" I beam or aluminum square tubing for installations???

I've pulled out both the furnace and the hot water tank. At some point, I want to install a roof mounted heat pump.

My question is around the instructions for both the hot water and AC. They both require wood to fill in the space between the inside and outside walls. I believe it's 1.5". I would rather not use wood, I'd rather use aluminum like everything else.

Has anyone done this? (okay, I know you have, I'm really asking what you used and the source).

Also, if I install a new suburban furnace, anyone have pics of what the outside of their stream looks like now? I have the covers from the original units. Probably will convert them.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I've pulled out both the furnace and the hot water tank. At some point, I want to install a roof mounted heat pump.

My question is around the instructions for both the hot water and AC. They both require wood to fill in the space between the inside and outside walls. I believe it's 1.5". I would rather not use wood, I'd rather use aluminum like everything else.

Has anyone done this? (okay, I know you have, I'm really asking what you used and the source).

Also, if I install a new suburban furnace, anyone have pics of what the outside of their stream looks like now? I have the covers from the original units. Probably will convert them.
Don't use the old furnace cover on a new furnace. Reports say it causes the new furnace to over heat.

You can make your own "stiffners" by bending some alclad to whatever dimension you want.

If you want curved pieces, that's a different problem.

Very few curved main bows still exist.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I build the frames for the a/c units out of the curved side bows for the wide-body Airstreams. Cut to fit the front and rear, and regular Z channel for both sides. Rivet the pieces to the roof skin and ceiling skin, and install the a/c.
The only wood for water heater munting should be a piece of plywood on the floor as a spacer for the water heater to sit on.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Terry, where would you get that material?

Thanks,

Rob.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Terry, where would you get that material?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob, I get it out of the parts department, but you can get it at any Airstream dealer. The wall rib section is almost perfect for the compromise between the roof contour (round) and the A/C base (flat).
Old 11-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Grainger Link

Something like this?
Search aluminum square - Grainger Industrial Supply
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
That's it. Didn't think of Grainger. I was going to check Lowe's and HD. I hate time change in the winter. It's dark by the time I get home, so I can only work Saturday, and Sunday after church. My garage is full of woodworking tools - but since my cabinets were almost perfect, I don't get to work on those. I guess I'll just be freezing my butt off by floodlight working on the hot water tank.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Our Lowes and Tractor Supply carry square 6063 profiles...

or

https://www.airpartsinc.com/shopdisp...Channel%2C+Rod
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I have been told that I am the only source for ribs (1956 to 1966) in the country... I will bend you up the section you need... send me a PM...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08054.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	144430  
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
I have been told that I am the only source for ribs (1956 to 1966) in the country... I will bend you up the section you need... send me a PM...

Thanks! I'm not ready just yet to do the top (the side takes straight sections) but I will follow up when I do my AC.

Rob.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I've talked this over with the parts department, and I'm going to try making up "kits" with a pair of Z channel pieces and a pair of the rounded bow pieces, along with some rivets, for a/c replacement of 1969 and later trailers with riveted-or-screwed-on a/c units.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
When you do the A/C

Rob,

I wasted money having the Airstream Dealer do the A/C installation. I thought the Engineering would be a challenge.

Here's all they did -- run a couple of support ribs. For clarity, this is an 11,500 btu Low Profile A/C, viewed from inside, with the cover off. The ribs are in the bottom of the pics. Didn't measure the spacing, but all they did was add one new rib on each side. Obviously, they'll be stronger if you buck the external rivets.

Strength appears to come from the curved, floating I-beam. The beam did not attach to any structural member at the bottom, so I assume that the only purpose is to prevent oil-canning of the roof.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac_ribs.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	144448  
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Need one for a 68 Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I've talked this over with the parts department, and I'm going to try making up "kits" with a pair of Z channel pieces and a pair of the rounded bow pieces, along with some rivets, for a/c replacement of 1969 and later trailers with riveted-or-screwed-on a/c units.
I will take a kit if you put them together, for my 68 Safari that originally had an Armstrong unit, but now has a Duo Therm unit that has a small sag.

David
DFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Rob,

I wasted money having the Airstream Dealer do the A/C installation. I thought the Engineering would be a challenge.

John
Nothing against the dealer, but I will do it myself. I'm not aware of a dealer in my area, and I will have to cut a hole in the roof and in the International's internal quilting. I love the clean look of my 64 with no AC, but AC seems to be a must. The fantastic fans only seem to go so far. I mainly wanted the curved ribs for just that oil canning effect that I wanted to avoid.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That's a great idea. Although, I have a 64, and it's never had an AC in it. I plan on putting in the low profile, heat pump model. Still trying to decide on how to handle the condensate.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Still trying to decide on how to handle the condensate.
Most use a Drip Pan. See especially Toastie's post in this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...ube-41076.html

John

Tags
channel, cover, heater, water