Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
'06 Bambi: Replace a/c with solar panels

After 10 years, with dry-camping our primary use, I am considering removing our oem Dometic air conditioner from our 19' Bambi, and using the freed-up rooftop space for adding solar panels. I have always disliked the weight, noise and slight ozone smell from the a/c, and would prefer to rely on a new Maxxair Maxxfan vent system to upgrade our air circulation. We always plan our road trips with weather in mind, and have resorted to an occasional cheap hotel in really hot conditions. The added solar capacity would be welcome in keeping the batteries topped off, and we already have a 1250 Watt inverter installed. I am not a DIY'er when it comes to plumbing or electrical, so I will probably ask my local AS dealer/service to do these modifications. Any advice, (helpful) comments?

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Not a direct answer, but the TV alternator charge line could be upgraded versus removing AC.

There are some threads on this topic.

Same for using a generator.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote