Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Too bad CU-434 can't be obtained the same way. 'Cause Mama's waiting just a bit for her dream appliance.

Still, would hazard a guess that these 2 models have very similar mechanical features and functioning, so I'm looking forward to learning about the experiences you have with your purchase.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Just look in the classifieds! I have a brand new stainless Dometic, taken out of a new 2016 Classic for sale. and the price is right!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #43
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Does anyone know the price on the Dometic CU-434 unit (pictured below) that they are putting into the 2016 Classic / Pendleton?

We are looking to upgrade range and this unit is appealing. I am thinking it's in the $1k range but I cannot find it online anywhere.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	257676  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Closer to $3000.00 from Airstream, only place to find it. I have a brand new one ,taken out of a new 2016 Classic. It is listed in the classifieds for $999.00!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #45
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
$999 is a deal! PM Sent!
Old 02-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Call Airstream and check it out for yourself! I paid much more than that for just the cooktop with no oven.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Did you check the Dometic site? They have a "where to buy" feature.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Dickinson Mediterranean can be purchased for around $1,400 plus freight. They have a 17.25" x 17.75" carving board that covers the burners when not in use and it sits flush with the perimeter rail of the stove.

All these different branded stoves have to ship on a pallet by motor freight. That freight charge can really smoke the credit card.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
For those who are interested in the Dometic CU-434, call Bob Jones RV in South Houston, TX. We just got our AS back from them today. Besides fixing RVs of all kinds, a large share of their business is repairing and restoring AS. They are Dometic dealers and are looking into this model for me. They explained that it will most likely drop-ship from Dometic directly to me. They have a print-out from Dometic's website of CU-434 that I brought to them, so if you call them, they will know which appliance you're interested in. They also know the dimensions and the weight are on that piece of paper. They can probably give you an idea if you have to spring for freight or if UPS/FedEx would be able to handle it. My personal feeling is freight may not be necessary. This appliance is smaller than my original MC and weighs about 50 lbs. We've received other parts for our AS that weighed at least 50 lbs. (stabilizer jacks) which were delivered by the standard carriers. But the best way to know anything is to consult an expert.

You can find Bob Jones info here http://bobjonesrv.com/
Old 02-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quick update! Bob Jones called us about Dometic CU-434 just a bit ago. Retail is around $900 and arrival would be 1-2 weeks. Packaging dimensions will determine who delivers it. Their experience is usually truck, but possible it could go the other way.

This appliance is in the same size range as other RV ranges found in more recent and new units. If you're replacing an older model, such as the 4-burner Magic Chef, you'll want to go to the Dometic page for CU-434 and get the dimensions for comparison.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
Quick update! Bob Jones called us about Dometic CU-434 just a bit ago. Retail is around $900 and arrival would be 1-2 weeks. Packaging dimensions will determine who delivers it. Their experience is usually truck, but possible it could go the other way.

This appliance is in the same size range as other RV ranges found in more recent and new units. If you're replacing an older model, such as the 4-burner Magic Chef, you'll want to go to the Dometic page for CU-434 and get the dimensions for comparison.
That's great news! All the dometic dealers I've called haven't been able to get their hands on this oven, so it's good to know someone who actually has access to it!

For those interested in the dimensions, they are (from dometic's site):

Height (in) 19.85
Depth (in) 20.63
Width (in) 19.6
Weight (lbs) 50.8
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
It might help that they not only do repair work, but ground-up restorations of AS. So they may have an in that some other dealers don't (such as ordering lots of Dometic items), though they didn't know about this model until I presented them with the information. And I first found it in a publication that's almost a year old and not AS specific.

That article and the testing done for it was probably actually in the works at least 6 months before publication. So who knows what may have occured since then to effect general availabilty. There is another RV appliance maker who is starting to add electric ignitions that they aren't making available to after-market. If interested you can ask Bob Jones about that one, and they can give you the down-low. Not that I believe in big government, but personally, when a certain technology becomes available to make something safer, I don't think consumers should be kept from obtaining it. The electric ignition on the stove was the biggest seller for me. I really didn't like the idea of lighting my eyebrows on fire or blowing up the trailer.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
There is probably one other factor that makes it possible for Bob Jones RV to get the unobtainable stove (sounds like a movie...). The owner is a former colleague of Andy from Inland RV. They both wrote manuals for Airstream. So, I'm thinking there might be a bit of clout there. (Long-term AS owners probably at least know of Bob Jones, if they aren't acquainted.) Would hazard a guess that they are one of the oldest restorers in the US. Visiting their shop is like going to AS candyland.

If you contact them about Dometic CU-434, ask for Chris (owner's son) or Harry.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Another AS Guru

Not trying to be a forum hog. For some reason the last post was published twice.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #55
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
Not trying to be a forum hog. For some reason the last post was published twice.
Starstream - just curious if you were told why dometic are not distributing through their dealer network? Seems odd to me that they would go through all the effort and cost of product development, tooling, production, etc and not scale / deliver volume to the marketplace.

Does airstream truly have an exclusive on this item? Doesn't make business sense to me.

Nevertheless I am happy to say that I snagged the new unit "TheDuke" was selling (pulled from a 2016 classic) and I'm stoked to install. It's about 2" shorter and 2" narrower than my current unit but we'll make it fit. Will post some pictures after everything is installed along with the new counter tops (2008 international 25SS).
Old 02-27-2016, 06:23 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Congratulations on getting the appliance from “The Duke”. We will be anxious to see the pictures and hear how you like it.

As for if it is or is not an Airstream exclusive, “The Duke” seems to have more insight into it than I do, as he is the one who stated it being built exclusively for Airstream. From the Airstream website I could only find it offered for the Pendleton. That’s not to say it can’t be put into others as an “up-grade”. Best to speak directly with an Airstream Company Rep. to verify.

The OP asked a question about stoves. It just so happed we were looking at them. So we offered some information from a magazine article in our possession. For our needs and wants the SMEV/Dometic CU-434 meets our specific criteria. And we happened to find a Dometic dealer that is able to order the stove.

Why other Dometic dealers are are not able to order them? That would be a question better asked of Dometic. We wouldn’t be able to offer anything else but speculation.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Perhaps it should have been mentioned in the previous post, but the best place to find the reason for lack of availability on the Dometic CU-434 might be Good Sam/Camping World and their magazine editor. As mentioned in other posts, we were alerted to the existence of this appliance thru their publications. They gave it 3-4 pages of their editorial space, with the slant as an after-market replacement. If not aware of it already, they may be interested in knowing their readers can’t obtain something for which they gave a glowing review.

Many long-time RVers, including Airstreamers, know about and probably belong to Good Sam. For newbies, it is a support system for the RV community. But they are also a corporation with a variety of products including roadside assistance, RV insurance, retail store with RV after-market and camping equipment, and RV dealerships. Though I haven’t seen Airstreams in the Katy, TX lot, I’m sure Camping World probably has some other Thor products sitting in their inventory. (Airstream news does pop up in their publications from time to time.)
Old 02-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Starstream - just curious if you were told why dometic are not distributing through their dealer network? Seems odd to me that they would go through all the effort and cost of product development, tooling, production, etc and not scale / deliver volume to the marketplace.

Does airstream truly have an exclusive on this item? Doesn't make business sense to me.

Nevertheless I am happy to say that I snagged the new unit "TheDuke" was selling (pulled from a 2016 classic) and I'm stoked to install. It's about 2" shorter and 2" narrower than my current unit but we'll make it fit. Will post some pictures after everything is installed along with the new counter tops (2008 international 25SS).

Argh! You got it before me! Definitely post pictures of the install. Congrats on a great grab
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Exclusive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
Argh! You got it before me! Definitely post pictures of the install. Congrats on a great grab
Last fall when I had my oven replaced with just the cooktop and the two extra drawers at JC, I was told that this piece is exclusive to AS in the USA. I don't think that Dometic actually makes this range? It is made in Italy like the range hood in the new Classic. AS partnered with an Italian Yacht MF for some of their new designs and pieces when they redesigned the Classic for 2015. This range is widely used in the Italian Marine Market. One reason that it is all stainless.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #60
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
For what it is worth I emailed Dometic last night asking (1) is this unit available in the US and (2) what is the MSRP

Here is what I got back:

"Thank you for contacting Dometic. The unit you're asking about is currently available and you may order through your local dealer. To locate your dealer, you may go to edometic.com and select find a dealer or if you can send me your zip code"

"Unfortunately, we are not able quote the price on finished goods. The dealer will be able to provide pricing for you."