Old 02-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Perhaps it should have been mentioned in the previous post, but the best place to find the reason for lack of availability on the Dometic CU-434 might be Good Sam/Camping World and their magazine editor. As mentioned in other posts, we were alerted to the existence of this appliance thru their publications. They gave it 3-4 pages of their editorial space, with the slant as an after-market replacement. If not aware of it already, they may be interested in knowing their readers can’t obtain something for which they gave a glowing review.

Many long-time RVers, including Airstreamers, know about and probably belong to Good Sam. For newbies, it is a support system for the RV community. But they are also a corporation with a variety of products including roadside assistance, RV insurance, retail store with RV after-market and camping equipment, and RV dealerships. Though I haven’t seen Airstreams in the Katy, TX lot, I’m sure Camping World probably has some other Thor products sitting in their inventory. (Airstream news does pop up in their publications from time to time.)

Old 02-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Starstream - just curious if you were told why dometic are not distributing through their dealer network? Seems odd to me that they would go through all the effort and cost of product development, tooling, production, etc and not scale / deliver volume to the marketplace.

Does airstream truly have an exclusive on this item? Doesn't make business sense to me.

Nevertheless I am happy to say that I snagged the new unit "TheDuke" was selling (pulled from a 2016 classic) and I'm stoked to install. It's about 2" shorter and 2" narrower than my current unit but we'll make it fit. Will post some pictures after everything is installed along with the new counter tops (2008 international 25SS).

Argh! You got it before me! Definitely post pictures of the install. Congrats on a great grab

Old 02-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Exclusive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
Argh! You got it before me! Definitely post pictures of the install. Congrats on a great grab
Last fall when I had my oven replaced with just the cooktop and the two extra drawers at JC, I was told that this piece is exclusive to AS in the USA. I don't think that Dometic actually makes this range? It is made in Italy like the range hood in the new Classic. AS partnered with an Italian Yacht MF for some of their new designs and pieces when they redesigned the Classic for 2015. This range is widely used in the Italian Marine Market. One reason that it is all stainless.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
For what it is worth I emailed Dometic last night asking (1) is this unit available in the US and (2) what is the MSRP

Here is what I got back:

"Thank you for contacting Dometic. The unit you're asking about is currently available and you may order through your local dealer. To locate your dealer, you may go to edometic.com and select find a dealer or if you can send me your zip code"

"Unfortunately, we are not able quote the price on finished goods. The dealer will be able to provide pricing for you."
Old 03-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Closer to $3000.00 from Airstream, only place to find it.

I called our local airstream dealership and they said it was $1300 plus freight.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
I called our local airstream dealership and they said it was $1300 plus freight.
Turns out it pays to shop around! I've used PPL Motorhomes (.com) for RV parts before and gave them a call to see if they could get the Dometic CU-434. At first they said no, then called back and said "yes"! And the price was cheaper than anywhere else I could find: $875.00 including shipping from Texas to Michigan! 7-10 business days for it to arrive.

Evidently Atwood just purchased Dometic (or part of it anyway) so there's been a lot of confusion and misinformation about the availability of this unit. Most Dometic dealers I talked to just flat out were told it's not available or not available in the US. Airstream dealers I spoke to said they couldn't order it from Dometic but could order it from Airstream from their "private stock" (about $1,300 + shipping). Only PPL was able to get it for a reasonable price and have it shipped to me.

I'm beyond thrilled. Now, I just hope it arrives in one piece!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Trekker boy,
Is this the black model or stainless steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
I'll have to call them tomorrow and find out what the non-shipping price is. We're lucky enough to have the Houston store within driving distance.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroyl View Post
Trekker boy,
Is this the black model or stainless steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
It's the stainless steel model!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
I'll have to call them tomorrow and find out what the non-shipping price is. We're lucky enough to have the Houston store within driving distance.
$823.00 without shipping; shipping was $49.20 on top of that to Michigan from Texas.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thanks, trekerboy, for the info. My stove is still going to be purchased a little later, but when I contacted Dometic about the cabinet specifications, they were nice enough to email a PDF version of the owner's manual to me. That will definitely help when we build our kitchen cabinets.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
Thanks, trekerboy, for the info. My stove is still going to be purchased a little later, but when I contacted Dometic about the cabinet specifications, they were nice enough to email a PDF version of the owner's manual to me. That will definitely help when we build our kitchen cabinets.
Good info guys. Thats a sharp looking stove- I will be doing same.

Can you post that .pdf with cabinet specs?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
It's a 40 pg. document, but I do have the full, professional version of Acrobat which might allow me to pull out a few pages as long as it's not password protected. Otherwise, contact Dometic, tell them you wish to purchase this appliance and would like to know the specs. I wanted to know specifically if I could put a drawer under it for my heavy cookwear. They got back to me within the hour, with the PDF document attached to their reply.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
Do you happen to know the price of just the cooktop with out the oven?

LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote