Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2007, 04:03 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
A skydiver jumps from a plane and pulls his rip-cord, the chute doesnt open.
On his way down he passes a guy coming up wearing deckshoes and a Jimmy Buffet T-shirt.
"Hey!" says the skydiver "you know anything about parachutes?"
"No" says the other guy "you know anything about alcohol stoves?"
Old 07-27-2007, 04:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
Stainless steel, built to last. Burns Avgas!
Looks similar to mine, which I have never fired up. Clean gas? As opposed to...??? I'm assuming this is White gas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stove2.gif
Views:	133
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	42027  

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We will be joining DG at Tahoe this Sunday. He PM'd me that he bought some 'white gas' with out telling me why. Well not to be outdone I rooted around in my storage shed and recovered my 'antique' Coleman lanterns and stove. The 3 lanterns date pre 1920, 1930's (with orginal box) and 1956. I bought the '56 one new with the Coleman stove. I tested them and they ALL work! I am also taking a bottle of wine in case i one-upped him.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've got a few antiques at home also. One is an Evenrude gasoline stove (I'm not sure if it's a white gas stove or not). It's really old with the stove sitting in a galvanized carrying box with an Evenrude metal logo on it. It has even a little tray that you pour gas into before you light the stove. It apparently heats up a tube that causes the liquid gas to atomize just before it hits the burner assembly.

Then I found a brass wood handled blow torch that my dad used to use back in the 50's. Same little tray used to preheat the delivery tube.

Finally I have a big silver carbide lantern that my grandfather used to use when he camped out. We have a sportsman store down close to our house who still sells carbide. I used this lamp back in mid 80's on a houseboat trip up in Voyager National Park up by International Falls Mn.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I once knew a gal that danced by the light of a carbide lamp. She was a miner's daughter with a set o' lean legs.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Coleman DualFuel stuff will, and is designed to, burn regular unleaded gasoline as well as the Coleman fuel. I've burned it in my lantern and my stove for years. I've always loved the look I get when I go into a gas station to pay for 35 cents worth of gas.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #27
Alumaholic

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ohio
Something I learned this past summer from a friend.... I attend several antique tractor/ engine shows ('nother hobby of mine) and was talking to a friend who builds and operates scale model gasoline engines. (cool machines they are!) www.modelengineeringsoc.com/ (Try this link if interested) While yakking with him he fills his fuel tank with Coleman fuel. I asked if indeed it was C. fuel or he was just using the can for reg gasoline. He said he always runs the C. fuel in the model engines as it has a basically indefinite shelf life and doesn't degrade/oxidize/gum up like gasoline does. Some of his engines may sit for years without running and he has no fuel problems when it comes time to run them. I don't know about Octane rating for the fuel but it's not really of a concern for an unloaded fraction of a fractional horsepower engine. Does back up earlier statements about cleanliness of "generators" in stoves/ lamps tho......
campernut64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
The stove in post 18 looks just like one I have. My dad bought it in the 40s and it still works great. Think they were used in tanks in WWII...Mine is a Coleman model 530.. Runs on several kinds of fuel including Coleman and reg gas.. Even leaded gas...I have the wrench and funnel for it too...One time when I talked with Coleman I told them about it. They said where did you get one of those??? They are very rare.. Told them dad bought it and a lantern when he got out of the Navy WWII..They told me of a guy in Indana who bought all Colemans parts for them.. I have his info if anyone needs it...I also have his Lantern too.. Model 242C..Mint and works great as well...He never uses them so he gave them to me...
Old 04-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I've got a few antiques at home also. One is an Evenrude gasoline stove (I'm not sure if it's a white gas stove or not). It's really old with the stove sitting in a galvanized carrying box with an Evenrude metal logo on it. It has even a little tray that you pour gas into before you light the stove. It apparently heats up a tube that causes the liquid gas to atomize just before it hits the burner assembly.

Then I found a brass wood handled blow torch that my dad used to use back in the 50's. Same little tray used to preheat the delivery tube.

Finally I have a big silver carbide lantern that my grandfather used to use when he camped out. We have a sportsman store down close to our house who still sells carbide. I used this lamp back in mid 80's on a houseboat trip up in Voyager National Park up by International Falls Mn.

Jack
Jack you should post Pics of them...
Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Looks similar to mine, which I have never fired up. Clean gas? As opposed to...??? I'm assuming this is White gas...
Yes, yours is White Gas Model..If you look at the bottom of most Coleman gear you will see some numbers.. These numbers tell the month and year it was made. Im curious about this one..
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss
Yes, yours is White Gas Model..If you look at the bottom of most Coleman gear you will see some numbers.. These numbers tell the month and year it was made. Im curious about this one..
Ah, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, I no longer own it. It is on its way to Arizona and a new owner. I can't recall if there were numbers on the bottom, but I'm pretty sure it was made in '51.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
You know, I have what looks to be an old white gas single burner stove in my garage. It was there when I bought the place, but never have had the nerve to toss it out. I'll take some pics of it and post 'em here, too...

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote